Do you want to shut down the gun lobby’s attempts to dismantle gun laws in state legislatures across the country? Are you mad as hell that, for the last generation, the gun lobby has had the field to themselves in many statehouses and because of that, our country suffers from a patchwork of gun laws that contribute to our nation’s gun violence crisis? Do you want to be part of the new organization working to turn the tables on the gun lobby in statehouses – beating back their extremist agenda and advancing safer gun laws in legislatures across the country?
Everytown for Gun Safety, the largest gun violence prevention advocacy organization in the country, is seeking a passionate, dedicated communications professional to join our team in a mid-level role with an emphasis on state legislative campaigns. With Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, a part of Everytown, we are the counterweight to the gun lobby. Our 50 state chapters are focused on pushing safer gun laws and shutting down the NRA’s extremist agenda in state legislatures across the country.
Primary responsibilities include developing and executing state legislative communications strategies that leverage our strong local supporter chapters in all 50 states. Candidates should feel comfortable tracking legislation in multiple states simultaneously, engaging and cultivating media relationships and liaising with on-the-ground volunteers, gun violence survivors and mayors across the country to implement strategies. The position entails extensive writing and editing responsibilities and direct engagement with journalists on both reactive and proactive media relations. The position has a focus on managing and executing the communications work for multiple state legislative campaigns at a time, which, like all politics, can often be unpredictable – as well as supporting Everytown and Mom’s non-state legislative campaigns.
Organizational and strong writing skills are required. Additionally, a willingness to work in a campaign-like environment is mandatory. Job candidates should feel comfortable learning and translating policy positions, engaging with the media and cultivating relationships, booking and preparing key spokespeople for interviews. Ideal candidates will have experience in writing everything from talking points, to press releases to opinion pieces, campaign plans and more.
- 3-7 years of professional experience
- Exceptional writing skills with proven ability to create dynamic, persuasive communications materials around state legislative work including press releases, op-eds, remarks and more
- Strong communications and media relations experience, with the ability to work effectively across various media and platforms in multiple states
- Interest in politics and advocacy on the state legislative level
- Willingness to work with a growing team in a fast-paced, campaign-like environment (sometimes unpredictable hours and crisis situations)
- Entrepreneurialism and an orientation that favors action over inaction
- Flexibility and the ability to maneuver effectively in the face of uncertainty
- Be a team player who is willing to pitch in on work outside of your individual mandate when necessary to support the greater goals of the organization
- Project management experience
- A good sense of humor
- While not required, knowledge of gun violence prevention issues is a plus
- While not required, fluency in Spanish is a plus
- Position is based in New York City or Washington, D.C.
- Some travel required.
To Apply: Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to put your full name on your materials and include the job name in the subject line.