High Country News (HCN) is looking for a Community Marketer to build and strengthen relationships between HCN and other organizations and individuals, with the aim of finding partnerships that take advantage of HCN's competencies and assets in ways that will spread the publication's reach, deepen our base of support and build bridges with communities and groups underrepresented in stories of the West.
This includes managing existing programs — such as our educational outreach program, media syndication and legislative subscriptions — and piloting new efforts to cultivate ambassadors and advocates for High Country News and reach independent, influential people whose followings and missions overlap with those of HCN. The contacts this role will be charged with cultivating may include potential advertisers, nonprofit partners, other media organizations and individual influencers.
As High Country News seeks to tell an inclusive story of today's West, a primary goal of this position will be reaching and forging new relationships with individuals and groups who represent communities historically targeted or excluded from popular narratives. Please include in your application any personal experience or qualifications you may have in working with historically underrepresented communities, especially communities as they exist in the West.
High Country News is part of a growing number of newsrooms addressing a historic lack of representation, inclusion and equity in journalism with effective solutions. We welcome applicants from all life experiences and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ people.
Reporting to the Director of Product and Marketing, position responsibilities will include:
- Promotes and grows existing partner programs
- Deepens relationships with existing program participants
- Measures impact and returns on investment of each program, analyzing growth opportunities
- Segments existing and potential audiences based on demographics, interests, and affinity for HCN’s mission
- Researches relevant industry experts, competitors, target audience and users
- Engages existing and new diverse community partners to understand emerging priorities and unmet needs
- Grows mission-driven partnerships with organizations serving diverse communities including, but not limited to: businesses, community-based organizations, academic institutions, and influencers
- Builds a community of kindred spirits by identifying and building authentic relationships with prominent influencers and thought leaders
- Helps spread word-of-mouth and visibility by presenting industry leaders with relevant HCN content and opportunities
- Defines the success and sets objectives for campaigns considering sales, traffic, brand awareness, customer retention, online reputation and growth that aligns with business goals
- Updates, maintains, and establishes materials to help our outreach partners succeed
- Sales and Partnerships
- Coordinates with clients who want to buy advertising space in our magazine, on our website and in our newsletters by explaining how advertising channels will help promote their products or services in the most effective way possible
- Proactively seeks out opportunities for reciprocal marketing from our partners
- Maintains current clients, develops new accounts and tracks efforts
- Coordinates with the Business Office and clients on insertion orders and accounts receivable
Skills and experience:
The Community Marketer has proven experience in identifying target audiences and developing successful lead generation and nurture-campaigns. They should have a strong track-record of driving awareness and amplification through owned and earned channels – such as organic social, influencer, public relations and branded content – with virality effects.
The position holder will possess a deep understanding of the media landscape and experience of using segmented channels to their best effect. They should be comfortable with both quantitative and qualitative aspects of campaign effectiveness and measurement. The position requires strong written and verbal communication skills are, with the ability to craft messaging to fit audiences. Candidates should demonstrate relevant experience marketing to a broad and diverse audience.
The ideal candidate has experience with a modern customer relationship management platform such as SalesForce. Knowledge in online marketing platforms including search engine marketing and optimization is preferred, but not essential.
A familiarity with non-profits and/or experience working at a media organization is an advantage, but we’re interested in hearing from applicants whose other qualifications, skills and experience fit the needs of the role. Most importantly, candidates should demonstrate an understanding of and passion for High Country News’ mission to create unblinking journalism for diverse audiences that deepens readers’ understanding of the West’s natural and human communities.
Compensation and general terms:
This is a full-time, exempt position with medical, dental and vision healthcare benefits; paid vacation leave starting at 12 days a year plus 9 paid HCN holiday days each year; paid sick and family leave benefits; and a salary in the range of $56,160 to $62,400 annual equivalent, dependent on skills and experience.
This position is open to candidates who reside in Arizona, Alaska, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington or Wyoming. HCN’s business headquarters is in Paonia, Colorado, but the editorial and marketing staff works remotely.
HCN is committed to equal employment opportunities and prohibits the unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
To apply, please send a résumé and cover letter to [email protected] with “Community Marketer” in the subject line.
Closing date for applications is August 18th, 2021. This job was posted by the Open Media Foundation on behalf of High Country News.
High Country News is the nation's leading independent source of thoughtful, in-depth reporting on the Western United States. Established in 1970, HCN produces an award-winning monthly magazine and a popular website, along with email newsletters, special reports, books and events. From Alaska and the Northern Rockies to the Desert Southwest, from the Great Plains to the West Coast, HCN is a beloved and essential resource for those who care about this region.
High Country News is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit whose mission is to inform and inspire people to act on behalf of the West's diverse natural and human communities. Its journalism is supported largely by its devoted readership through subscriptions and contributions, with additional revenue from grants and advertising. It has received countless honors and accolades, including two coveted George Polk Awards.
HCN’s readers are educated and engaged. They include policymakers, educators, public-land managers, environmental professionals, outdoor enthusiasts and an expanding Indigenous audience. The organization has roughly 30,000 print and digital subscribers. The website, which includes archives stretching back to the first issue in 1970, attracts approximately 400,000 sessions each month.
In a time of media fragmentation and polarizing sound bites, readers come to High Country News for fact-based, independent journalism and civil conversation across diverse perspectives. With the decline in local newspapers leaving news deserts across the nation, HCN’s relevance is sharper than ever.