Join Free Speech TV and help grow our online presence!
Who we are:
Free Speech TV is a national, independent news network committed to advancing racial, economic and environmental justice. As the alternative to television networks owned by billionaires, governments and corporations, our network elevates unique perspectives through daily news programs (such as Democracy Now! and The Thom Hartmann Program), independent documentaries, and special movement and events coverage. Free Speech TV reaches 30 million homes via DISH, DIRECTV and cable affiliates and many more via Roku, Apple TV, Sling TV, Amazon Fire, Amazon Alexa, social media, an iOS app and www.freespeech.org. We believe that a just, kind, and sustainable world is built by people inspired by diverse voices, surprising conversations, and fearless truth-telling.
Who we are looking for:
Free Speech TV is seeking a self-motivated, upbeat, digital native to join our digital
team as our Digital Content Editor (DCE). The DCE is responsible for editing and
distributing daily digital short form content, while helping the network launch an exciting
next-gen video platform with AI-powered captioning. In addition to providing video
search capabilities, this new platform features end-2-end encryption, granular analytics
and a collaborative workspace. The DCE will manage Free Speech TV’s use of this platform and help to innovate its application. This position offers an opportunity to gain invaluable hands-on experience essential to building a successful career in media and digital technology, while working with a diverse and vibrant team passionate about the network’s mission.
The Digital Content Editor’s specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Be the department’s lead for the daily use and monitoring of a next-gen video platform, learning its capacities and refining its applications in the production and distribution of the network’s content.
● Be responsible for monitoring the next-gen video platform to ensure the system is working at optimum performance, tracking the effectiveness of the system through various analytics and trouble-shooting issues when they arise.
● Execute daily content plans (such editing and publishing short video clips from various daily/weekly hosts) that maximize audience engagement and customer experience across the full range of the network’s digital channels.
● Produce and distribute entertaining, engaging, original digital short form content packages (including audiograms, images, infographics, etc.) for our website, social media, YouTube channel and OTT apps as a way to grow our audience.
● Assist the Digital Director and other members of the digital team in
curating/aggregating partner content for digital and broadcast distribution, including, but not limited to, creating trailers/promos, clips and other supplemental short form content as needed.
The ideal candidate will bring:
● A basic understanding of best digital practices and algorithms of YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
● Experience in Adobe Creative Cloud applications (or equivalent creative software), and a tech-savvy ability to learn new software easily and quickly.
● Excellent communications and collaboration skills with a demonstrated ability to meet daily deadlines with efficiency and accuracy.
● A passion for creative storytelling across multimedia platforms and familiarity with
● A commitment to Free Speech TV’s values, antiracist principles, and mission to advance movements for racial, economic and environmental justice.
Other experience that would bring additional value:
● Digital marketing strategy and implementation (SEO, Google Analytics, Google Paid Ads, Facebook and YouTube ads, etc.)
● Production of podcasts and/or other audio-first content; promotional content and ads; and/or digital fundraising content.
● Partnering with external content producers to fill content needs.
Compensation: $1,500 bi-weekly (Equivalent to $39,000 annually).
Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, life, short-term/long-term disability insurance. Generous paid time off. 401k retirement plan.
FLSA Status: Full time (37.5 hours a week), non-exempt.
Reports to: Digital Director
Location: Ideally hybrid remote/Denver, CO. Fully remote candidates may be considered in exceptional circumstances.
Anticipated Start Date: April 2022
To apply: Free Speech TV (FSTV) is accepting applications for this position via Open
Media Foundation’s Career Engine service. To apply, submit a cover letter, resume,
portfolio examples and professional references to [email protected]
using “Digital Content Editor at FSTV” in the subject line. Phone or in-person
applications will not be accepted. The application deadline for this position is March
18, 2022. Review of applications, nominations, and expressions of interest will begin
immediately and continue on a confidential basis until an appointment is made.
Free Speech TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate
based upon age, race, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation,
religion, national origin, marital status, status as a veteran, status as an individual
with a disability or any other status protected by applicable state or local law.
Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ candidates are
strongly encouraged to apply.