Digital Engagement Editor
Salary: Full time with benefits; starting at $19/hour
Colorado Community Media is hiring a digital engagement editor to lead digital content and social media strategy and execution. The engagement editor ensures that we deliver first-rate and innovative storytelling through proven digital techniques and that we use analytics to inform content and deepen engagement. This is a leadership role that blends journalism with marketing efforts; you must be comfortable working through traditional walls. Works with our Circulation Department to attract a targeted audience through search, social, email and emerging direct digital reach efforts. Engages and converts online readers to newsletter / email subscribers, social fans / followers or ad buyers. Maximizes audience retention rate for newsletters, social communities, strong website metrics.
We’re a small news organization, but we have mighty aspirations and we’re looking for folks who want to grow along with us. Here’s what we’re hoping you’ll do — or learn to do:
- Journalism: Demonstrates sound editorial judgment, including an understanding of institutional guidelines on ethics, tone and subject matter.
- Content Strategy: Coordinates with the Editor-in-Chief on setting the editorial direction for digital products with a specific content plan. The digital editorial direction should blend optimized online-only content with traditional news/feature stories — in short, a content mix that meets the preferences of the digital consumer.
- SEO: Ensures content is optimized for organic search, through his/her own efforts as well as mentoring the staff on SEO best practices.
- Social: Ensures content is optimized for social and mentors the staff on social best practices.
- Direct Digital Reach: Plans and executes on plans to launch email newsletters, text message campaigns, and tests new ways to reach readers and customers directly.
- Lives and breathes metrics or is excited to learn how to use data to guide decision making.
- Innovation: Stays in tune with emerging digital trends and experiments rapidly in the digital space. Shares findings with others through blogs, meetings and webinars.
- Sales Support: Collaborates with the sales team to ensure nontraditional sales opportunities and native content opportunities are maximized to benefit the online audiences and the clients. Helps identify new sales opportunities in the digital space as needed.
- Marketing Support: Collaborates on branding / circulation / event efforts to ensure these efforts meet the needs of the online community and maximize the property’s value.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in interactive media, journalism, communications or marketing, with a passion to bring good storytelling to a digital audience.
- At least two years' experience with digital strategy, including search, email marketing, digital content publishing and social media.
- Experience using tools such as Google Analytics to make content decisions.
- Ability to write and edit quickly, with excellent writing and message development skills.
- Must have strong attention to detail.
- Experience training colleagues on digital skills and techniques.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We’re committed to building an inclusive organization that represents the people and communities we serve. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, veterans, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
How to Apply
Colorado Community Media is accepting applications for this position via Open Media Foundation’s Career Engine service. Applicants should send a cover letter, resume and three references to [email protected] using “Digital Engagement Editor” in the subject line. Phone or in-person applications will not be accepted. The application deadline for this position is one month after the posting date of this announcement.