KGNU Community Radio seeks a COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR (CDD) to sustain and build upon a strong financial structure which will fuel our organization as guided by KGNU Strategic Plans as we forge into our 45th year. The Community Development Director is a key member of the leadership team and works closely with and will report to the Station Manager.
The ideal candidate for the Community Development Director position is personable and approaches fundraising with a great attitude, has a proven commitment and successful track record fundraising for non-profits, a passion for community radio and independent media and the ability to plan, execute, oversee and evaluate a diverse and dynamic fundraising strategy to bring KGNU strongly into the future.
The KGNU Community Development Director will provide overall direction, coordination, and implementation of the organization’s fundraising operations. This position may be required to supervise staff, consultants, and volunteers who work on fundraising, marketing, and giving programs.
The Community Development Director is charged with the responsibility of organizing and managing activities related to the analysis, planning, implementation, supervision, and evaluation of fundraising activities to successfully sustain, innovate, market, promote, and grow KGNU’s fundraising programs that will include but not be limited to: government and foundation grants, on-line giving campaigns, major donor cultivation and gifts, annual and planned giving, underwriting, and special events.
Core Duties include but may NOT be limited to:
Fundraising Strategy and Implementation
- Sustaining and growing a diversified fundraising strategy, with assistance from the Station Manager.
- Assisting the Station Manager with identifying and developing opportunities for future revenue growth.
- Facilitate an active fundraising role for and establish goals for members of the Board of Directors.
- Identify future funding needs and development of sustainable fundraising strategies to address these needs/issues.
- Identify opportunities for special fundraising campaigns; oversee and delegate tasks to implement them.
- Sustaining and growing annual GOS and project grants revenue by maintaining the grant cycle calendar and meeting established goals.
- Developing and submitting grant proposals and grant reports to foundations, corporations and government agencies consistent with KGNU’s mission.
- Implementing a comprehensive and robust major donor plan fully integrated with a “Moves” Management process.
- Soliciting and securing contributions through planned gifts (bequeath, trusts, donations of land or other real property, annuities, stocks).
Business / Underwriting
- Creating, maintaining and cultivating fruitful relationships with businesses, organizations and foundations.
- Supervising KGNU Underwriting Managers, tracking sales and growing the underwriting schedule to increase revenues.
- Implementing a plan to secure business sponsorship for annual signature events and fund drives.
- Soliciting in-kind donations from businesses and corporate matching grants.
- Leading online digital fundraising and marketing communications campaigns, including overseeing digital newsletter, social media fundraising campaigns, and copy for on-air campaigns
- Producing annual report
- Developing and supervising public engagement activities that promote and advance key fundraising/development goals
Leadership & Management
- Documenting and tracking (in Salesforce) all fundraising activities and providing comprehensive monthly activity reports to the Station Manager.
- Working with and managing staff members and committees to ensure that all fundraising is consistent with the overall mission, philosophy, and strategic plan of KGNU.
- Guiding the Board of Directors, Development Committee, and or Capital Expansion Campaign Committee in their role to assist in the fundraising action plans.
- Participate in relevant Committees as designated by the Station Manager.
- A minimum of four years’ experience as a successful fundraiser for a non-profit organization.
- Superb written, verbal and presentation skills with ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to effectively function in a collaborative manner with staff, board, multiple committees and a diverse volunteer and donor community to create and maintain a harmonious work environment.
- Exceptional organizational, planning, and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and implement multiple projects, set deadlines, evaluate progress and ensure accountability.
- Proven success in fundraising, particularly in grant writing and major donor solicitation and cultivation.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and develop relationships with prospective donors
- Experience developing and managing budgets.
- Ability and willingness to work some evenings and weekends, and to occasionally travel (principally along the Front Range) as needed.
- Experience with marketing (print, online, & social media), public relations, event management, and grant sourcing.
- Highly proficient with GSuite (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.), Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc) and Database management
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of online Grant Portals.
- Online fundraising campaign experience (crowd sourcing, CMS donor portal usage, social media fundraising campaigns)
- An innovative strategic thinker with demonstrated success in the creation and implementation of development plans and strategies
- Knowledge of current trends in charitable giving in the areas of fundraising events, capital campaigns, major gifts or planned giving. (Preference for experience in the Colorado grants and charitable giving landscape.)
- Bilingual Spanish/English
- Demonstrated experience using listening, diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships and motivate donors and volunteers.
- Independent Media, Community Radio and/or non-profit arts experience.
- Prior experience and knowledge with Salesforce, MemSys, Wealth Engine (or similar) Membership Management systems
- Established relationships with foundations, businesses and philanthropists in the Boulder/Denver Community
- Prior experience managing or leading capital campaigns
- High proficiency in marketing and fundraising experience with Social Media, MailChimp (digital Newsletter campaigns)
- Basic audio, photo, and multimedia editing experience
- Basic graphic design skills and experience with (Canva, Photoshop, or similar)
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS: This is a Full Time, FLSA Exempt position based in Boulder, Colorado with offices in both our Boulder and Denver facilities with opportunity for a hybrid schedule. Salary range is $60,000.00 to $65,000.00 / yr. commensurate with your experience. KGNU offers a generous PTO plan in addition to 11 paid holidays, with an employee health insurance contribution plan, an annual HRA plan, a Pre-Tax Cafeteria plan for any optional family health, dental, or accident plans.
KGNU is a 44-year-old non-profit, listener-supported community radio station. Launched in Boulder, Colorado at 88.5 FM in 1978, we expanded in 2004 to include Denver at 1390 AM. We now serve a potential listening audience of nearly 3 million people. KGNU’s mission is to provide a forum for historically underrepresented voices, as well as to amplify community voices, culture and music not likely to be heard in the mainstream media.
KGNU is committed to diversity, equity, inclusiveness and belonging. KGNU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In its activities and operations, KGNU is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin (ancestry), culture, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, economic status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our board, staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, listener-members, and individuals who receive our services. We strongly encourage applications from people of all genders, people of color, and people with disabilities.
To apply: The Open Media Career Engine is recruiting on behalf of KGNU. Applicants will need to submit the following to [email protected] with “Director of Development at KGNU” in the subject line:
- your complete resume
- three contacts for relevant professional recommendations
- and a maximum 3 page cover letter addressing:
- How you are qualified to perform the core duties expected of the Development Director.
- What your vision is for strengthening KGNU through development and fundraising by 2025.
- How you heard about KGNU.
- Where you heard about this job opportunity.
Application deadline is December 18, 2022.