Join Free Speech TV and help grow our online presence!
Who we are:
Free Speech TV (FSTV) is a national, independent news network committed to advancing racial, economic and environmental justice. As the alternative to television networks owned by billionaires, governments and corporations, our network elevates unique perspectives through daily news programs (such as Democracy Now! and The Thom Hartmann Program), independent documentaries and special movement and events coverage. Free Speech TV reaches 30 million homes via DISH, DIRECTV and cable affiliates and many more via Roku, Apple TV, Sling TV, Amazon Fire, Amazon Alexa, social media and www.freespeech.org. We believe that a just, kind, and sustainable world is built by people inspired by diverse voices, surprising conversations, and fearless truth-telling.
Who we are looking for:
Free Speech TV is seeking a self-motivated, upbeat, digital native to join our digital team as our Digital Content Editor (DCE). A successful DCE will bring a passion for creative storytelling across multimedia platforms, familiarity with independent media and movements for racial, economic and environmental justice. The DCE is responsible for producing and distributing daily digital short form content. This temporary assignment offers an exciting opportunity to help the network launch and manage a next-gen video platform with AI-powered captioning. In addition to providing video search capabilities, this new platform features end-2-end encryption, granular analytics and a collaborative workspace. The DCE will lead the network’s initial engagement with this platform and help innovate its application.
The DCE is a project-specific, one-year position, with the possibility of an extension or converting into a regular full-time position. It is a non-exempt hourly position, with the expectation of 37.5 working hours per week. This position reports to the Digital Director and is based in Denver, Colorado. Preference will be given to candidates living in or willing to relocate to the Denver area, but applicants from across the US will be considered.
The Digital Content Editor’s specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Be the department’s lead for the daily use and monitoring of a next-gen video platform, learning its capacities and refining its applications in the production and distribution of the network’s content.
● Be responsible for monitoring the next-gen video platform to ensure the system is working at optimum performance, tracking the effectiveness of the system through various analytics and trouble-shooting issues when they arise.
● Executing daily content plans (such editing and publishing short video clips from various daily/weekly hosts) that maximize audience engagement and customer experience across the full range of the network’s digital channels.
● Producing and distributing entertaining, engaging, original digital short form content packages (including audiograms, images, infographics, etc.) for our website, social media, YouTube channel and OTT apps as a way to grow an audience.
● Assisting Digital Director and other members of the digital team in curating/aggregating partner content for digital and broadcast distribution, including, but not limited to, creating trailers/promos, clips and other supplemental short form content as needed.
● The ideal candidate will bring excellent communications and collaboration skills with a
demonstrated ability to meet daily deadlines with efficiency and accuracy.
● A deep understanding of the digital world, including a basic understanding of best practices and algorithms of YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
● Experience in Adobe Creative Cloud applications (or equivalent creative software), and a tech-savvy ability to learn new software easily and quickly.
● A commitment to Free Speech TV’s values, social justice mission and antiracist principles.
Other experience that would bring additional value:
● Digital marketing strategy and implementation (SEO, Google Analytics, Google Paid
Ads, Facebook and YouTube ads, etc.)
● Production of podcasts and/or other audio-first content; promotional content and ads; and/or digital fundraising content.
● Partnering with external content producers to fill content needs.
Compensation: This is a non-exempt position that pays $18-20/hour for ~37.5 hours/week, without benefits. This position will terminate in one year, unless it is extended or converted into a regular position.
To apply: Free Speech TV is accepting applications for this position via Open Media Foundation’s Career Engine service. To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, portfolio examples and professional references to [email protected] using “FSTV Digital Content Editor” in the subject line. Phone or in-person applications will not be accepted. The application deadline for this position is 30 days after the posting date of this announcement. Review of applications, nominations, and expressions of interest will begin immediately and continue on a confidential basis until an appointment is made.
Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Free Speech TV is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon age, race, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, marital status, status as a veteran, status as an individual with a disability or any other status protected by applicable state or local law.