KUNC seeks a dynamic and charismatic individual to join our team as our General Assignment (GA) Reporter & Host for Weekend Edition. The ideal candidate will be a natural storyteller who is excited by new ideas, experimenting, and helping to grow an evolving organization in service to our communities. This is considered an entry-level position, and we will provide adequate training to help you develop into a self-sufficient and successful member of the team.
As our GA Reporter & Host, you will work closely with our reporters, the digital team, and our local hosts of Morning Edition and All Things Considered. You will also have the opportunity to have your stories picked up by NPR’s programs like All Things Considered and Morning Edition, along with other national programs.
Mon/Tues/Wed or Wed/Thurs/Fri
For three days during the week, you will primarily perform GA Reporter duties including:
- Voice track weekend and weekday automation breaks (1-2 hours per shift)
- Work with Assistant News Director to write and produce daily newscast items
- Work with KUNC’s Digital team to produce and engage our audience with web and social media posts
- Work with the Director of News to create occasional evergreen features
- Perform research, conduct effective interviews, and maintain organized records
- Provide backup to our local Morning Edition and All Things Considered hosts
Host – Weekend Edition
Sat/Sun – REQUIRED AT THE STATION FROM 6:30AM-10:30AM BOTH DAYS
On Saturday and Sunday, you will primarily perform Host duties including:
- Live host Weekend Edition both days, from 7:00am-10:15am, with 4 live newscasts at 7, 8, 9 and 10am
After the hosting shift is complete, you will be asked to perform as a GA Reporter, which includes the duties listed above.
- Attend and engage with listeners and members at community engagement events such as Java with a Journalist
- Participate in on-air fundraising
- A minimum of one year of on-air or podcast work and online reporting
- Bachelor's (B.A. or B.S.) or Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) in journalism, radio production, media, communication, or a related field of study
- A minimum of six months hosting experience within an NPR clock
- Knowledge of, and strict adherence to, journalistic ethics and standards, specifically NPR news.
- Proven ability to be a positive team member, consistently work well with others, and always demonstrate respect for the diverse constituencies at KUNC and within the public broadcasting system.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality content and programming.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- The work environment will be at the Greeley office when hosting. Flexible scheduling and remote work for reporting shifts can be established with the supervisor
- The Greeley office environment: locked building accessible by FOB with overhead lighting with low-to-moderate noise levels
- Prolonged periods of remaining in a stationary position
Salary and Benefits
- $4150- $4300 per/month
- Health, dental and vision care with over 90% of premiums for employee paid by employer
- Employer-provided Life & AD&D and disability insurance (ST and LT)
- 403b retirement with company match
- Paid Time Off
- 9 paid holidays, +1 floating holiday
- Maternity/paternity/partner leave
How to apply:
- Please send resume, cover letter, and supporting documents or materials to [email protected].
- Position will remain open until filled. For best consideration, apply by 11:59pm MT on September 5, 2021.
Embracing diversity is a core value of KUNC. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds, age, economic circumstance, ethnicity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, religion and sexual orientation to apply. This job was posted on behalf of KUNC by the Open Media Foundation.