The Colorado Sun, a nationally recognized leader and award-winning digital news outlet, seeks an Operations
Manager. The Operations Manager will help provide back-office support and keep our public benefit corporation running smoothly. This involves paying bills, invoicing customers, tracking and paying expenses and working with other team members to ensure the success of our entire organization.
The ideal candidate is very task- and detail-oriented, highly organized, professional, excels at follow through and enjoys a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. The Operations Manager should be able to learn and master accounting software, such as Quickbooks and Newspaper Manager, as well as Excel and other organizational tools.
This is an opportunity to largely work from home in the Denver metro area, although we have an office downtown and the Operations Manager will be expected to stay on top of our business mail that arrives there.
● Detailed eye, task-oriented, highly organized
● Excels at follow through
● Resourceful and flexible
● Ability to learn and master software systems, including QuickBooks and Newspaper Manager or similar.
● Great communication skills and team player
● At least two years equivalent experience
● Interest in media and our public benefit mission
● Accounting duties include:
○ Pay bills, including freelancers, vendors, rent
○ Manage QuickBooks in coordination with president and bookkeeper
○ Work with sales team in Newspaper Manager
○ Track inventory of employee equipment
○ Process expense accounts
○ Follow up on aging accounts
○ Manage employee vacation calendar and track vacation days
● Event support such as:
○ Liaison for vendors and volunteers
○ Coordinate with speakers and sponsors
● Sales support such as:
○ Communicating with sponsors
○ Helping to gather metrics on sponsorships
● HR support, including help with new employee onboarding, sharing employee handbook, business card
orders, employee badges
● Schedule & coordinate podcasts with vendor and staff
Location: This job is based in the Denver area. Flexible work from home.
Salary: $55,000 to $65,000 depending on experience, plus benefits including access to 401(k) and health, dental and vision insurance.
References: References will be required from finalist candidates before an offer is extended.
About The Sun: The Colorado Sun is a well-capitalized, award-winning, online news organization created and owned by some of the state’s most experienced journalists. It produces agenda-setting local journalism that highlights the people, places and issues that make Colorado a great place to live, work and play.
The Sun is a Public Benefit Corporation and an equal opportunity employer that is committed to building a newsroom that reflects the diversity of the community it serves. We welcome applicants from all life experiences and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ people. All qualified candidates will be considered, regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, religion, political affiliation or veteran status.
How To Apply: The Open Media Career Engine is recruiting on behalf of The Colorado Sun. Applicants will need to submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Operations Manager at
The Colorado Sun” in the subject line. Application deadline is Tuesday, January 31, 2023.