Job Opportunity: Program Director
Operating in its 27th year, Free Speech TV (FSTV) is a national, nonprofit, independent news network whose mission is to empower an informed and active citizenry to build a more just, equitable and anti-racist world. Powered by our viewers, FSTV amplifies the voices not heard on the corporate networks and lifts up the efforts of everyday people working on the front lines of social, economic, environmental, and racial justice. The team at FSTV believes a just, kind, and sustainable world is built by people inspired by diverse voices, surprising conversations, and fearless truth-telling.
Free Speech TV airs 24/7 with daily news programs like Democracy Now! and The Thom Hartmann Program, with weekly current affairs series like Gay USA and Economic Update, with award-winning documentaries, and with special coverage of events and movements like Netroots Nation, Bioneers and the Poor People’s Campaign: A National Call for Moral Revival. FSTV reaches 40 million US homes via DISH, DIRECTV, local cable affiliates, Sling TV, Roku, Apple TV, Alexa, social media and www.freespeech.org.
The Program Director (PD) works under the direct supervision of the General Manager to shape and manage the network’s content initiatives, including original programming.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Working with the General Manager to manage FSTV’s editorial voice across all media platforms, reflecting FSTV’s commitment to fearless truth-telling, amplifying the stories of under-represented communities and advancing FSTV’s mission of building a more just, equitable and anti-racist world.
● Producing original journalism or editorial content about social justice issues and underrepresented communities.
● Conducting content-related research, drafting scripts, and performing other on- or off camera content related duties.
● Developing and implementing strategies for program acquisitions, content development, production, and host contract renewals in collaboration with the legal team.
● Identifying prospective content partners and special initiatives that bring fresh content, new audiences and new income to FSTV.
● Collaborating with the Digital Director and Operations Director to coordinate the production and distribution of in-house content, including promotional and fundraising spots, interviews, special series, event coverage and other original content.
● Cultivating healthy long-term producer relations (outside of day-to-day technical and promotional support) and monitoring program quality.
● Selection and licensing of acquired content, including series, documentaries, one-off events and partner content, supported by the Content Coordinator and the network’s IP attorney.
● Managing programming expenses against budgets and helping to develop budgets.
● Participating in all-staff, content team and interdepartmental meetings, as well as ad hoc meetings to coordinate network initiatives.
● Perform other duties assigned by the General Manager.
Preferred Professional and Personal Qualifications: The ideal candidate for the Program Director position will offer:
● Personal commitment to FSTV’s mission and values; a deep understanding of racial, economic, and environmental justice issues; and familiarity with progressive media and social justice organizations.
● Minimum of 3 years’ experience producing and managing independent journalism about social justice issues and under-represented communities, ideally with video.
● Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a professional management or leadership role.
● Ability to craft an institutional programmatic vision and editorial voice.
● Ability to deliver on objectives through attention to detail, resourcefulness, diligence, and passion.
● Planning and organization skills, with ability to manage multiple projects, to respond quickly to emerging opportunities, and to meet deadlines consistently.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Experience creating and managing budgets.
● Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, tactfulness, good judgment, and ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
● Strong work ethic, demonstrating personal initiative, responsibility, and a commitment to results.
● Collegiality and a good sense of humor, employing a welcoming, collaborative approach and a strong team-oriented style.
● Ability to inspire others and to lead by example.
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
● Ability to travel as needed (post-Covid).
Annual Salary Range: Starting at $70,000 commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, life, short/long-term disability insurance. Generous paid time off. 401k retirement plan.
FLSA Status: Fulltime, Exempt.
Reports To: General Manager
Supervises: Content Coordinator
Location: Currently, due to Covid, mostly remote current, with regular Denver office/studio visits. Increased time in Denver as pandemic conditions permit a return to the office/studio.
Anticipated Start Date: August 30, 2022
Free Speech TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering a diverse workplace. We are dedicated to building a culturally diverse staff and creating a working environment that promotes racial equity and inclusiveness. We believe attracting and retaining diverse staff is crucial to serving our community and fulfilling our mission. Women, Black, Indigenous and people of color (BIPOC), LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities and veterans are highly encouraged to apply.
To Apply: The Open Media Career Engine is recruiting on behalf of Free Speech TV. Applicants will need to submit a cover letter, resume and sample of original journalism to [email protected] with “Program Director at FSTV” in the subject line. Application deadline is 30 days from the date of this announcement.
Learn more about Free Speech TV at www.freespeech.org.