Network Background: Operating in its 28th year, Free Speech TV (FSTV) is a national, nonprofit, independent news network whose mission is to empower an informed and active citizenry to build a more just, equitable multiracial democracy. Powered by our viewers, FSTV amplifies the voices not heard on the corporate networks and lifts up the efforts of everyday people working on the front lines of racial, economic, and environmental justice. The team at FSTV believes a just, kind, and sustainable world is built by people inspired by diverse voices, surprising conversations, and fearless truth-telling.
Free Speech TV airs 24/7 with daily news programs like Democracy Now! and The Thom Hartmann Program, with weekly current affairs series like Gay USA and Economic Update, with award-winning documentaries, and with special coverage of events and movements like Netroots Nation, Bioneers and the Poor People’s Campaign. FSTV reaches 30 million US homes via DISH, DIRECTV, local cable affiliates, Sling TV, Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire/Alexa, iOS app, social media and www.freespeech.org.
Position Summary: Free Speech TV seeks a values-aligned and experienced programming/acquisition coordinator to help acquire, develop
and curate the content in support of FSTV’s vision of informing, educating and mobilizing viewers to build a better world. As a Denver, CO-based team member of the FSTV Content Team, the Programming & Content Acquisition Coordinator will work closely with the network’s producers, program hosts, distribution platforms, and movement organizers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
● Researching the social justice programming marketplace, exploring programming partnerships, and evaluating long- and short-form
content that reflects FSTV’s mission and values.
● Cultivating relationships with content contributors, distributors and filmmakers and representing FSTV with integrity, respect and the
highest standards in developing those relationships.
● Maintaining a database of contacts and programs, while monitoring program rights, requirements, payments and licensing
● Producing written analyses (coverage) of reviewed programs and recommending acquisitions to the Program Director and Content Team.
● Drafting and negotiating license agreements.
● Writing content descriptions for multiple platforms and defining tagging metadata.
● Working with the content team to develop program launch strategies.
● Reviewing submitted media files for quality control.
● Assist in Ingesting, transcoding and formatting incoming media;Ensuring the timely electronic delivery of media to master control and digital platforms.
● Assist in support of recorded and special live events, both virtual and in-person, for broadcast and digital distribution.
● Perform other duties assigned by the Program Director.
The Acquisitions Coordinator position requires the abilities, leadership, willingness, drive and initiative to:
● Manage content partners and cross-departmental projects with the ability to work collaboratively.
● Complete all tasks accurately and on time with strong attention to detail.
● Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills — ability to interact well, collaborate and support colleagues and partners (producers, hosts, and vendors).
● Remain calm and focused when faced with unexpected challenges while at times working in a high tempo environment
● Manage multiple assignments simultaneously and effectively.
● Work extended hours for special events.
Preferred Professional and Personal Qualifications
The ideal candidate for the Content Coordinator position will offer:
● 3 to 5 years of experience along with a nuanced understanding of journalism, storytelling, political/strategic communications and
audience engagement across demographics, ideology and lived experience.
● Personal commitment to FSTV’s values and its vision of a multiracial democracy.
● A deep understanding of the intersectionality of social, racial, economic, and environmental justice issues, and a passion for the
network’s movement-building mission.
● Familiarity and a network of social justice organizations, movements and progressive content creators.
● A minimum of 2 years working in a social media environment with an understanding of how progressive issues, activism, and digital
media intersect on social media platforms, particularly video streaming platforms.
● Experience with GoogleDocs with a view to managing lists and schedules.
● Basic familiarity of production and post-production processes in a broadcast or digital environment preferred.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Planning and organization skills, with ability to manage multiple projects, to respond quickly to emerging opportunities, and to meet
● Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, tactfulness, and good judgment.
● Strong work ethic, demonstrating personal initiative, responsibility, and a commitment to results.
● Collegiality and a good sense of humor, employing a welcoming, collaborative approach and a strong team-oriented style.
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
● Ability to travel as needed (post-Covid).
FLSA Status: Fulltime, Non-Exempt
Reports To: Program Director
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Location: Denver, CO (currently hybrid)
Travel: Occasional travel is required
Compensation: $55,000-$60,000 annually, commensurate with experience
Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, life, short/long-term disability insurance. Generous paid time off. 401k retirement plan.
Anticipated Start Date: 2/28/23 or earlier when possible.
To Apply: To apply, submit a cover letter to [email protected] using “Programming & Content Acquisitions Coordinator position” in the subject line. The application deadline for this position is COB on 1/30/23
Free Speech TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based upon age, race, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, marital status, status as a veteran, status as an individual with a disability or any other status protected by applicable state or local law. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.