Reporter (Longmont, Colorado)
The Longmont Leader, a digital newsroom located in Longmont, Colorado, is looking for an enthusiastic, versatile journalist who is able to keep up with the daily demands of a fast-paced breaking newsroom. The ideal candidate is a strong communicator and possesses the ability to work independently, identifying and reporting on stories without waiting for an assignment while also discovering reliable sources.
The Longmont Leader offers remote work for the time being. This requires all staff to be diligent communicators as stories develop. The typical workweek is Monday through Friday, however, all team members are expected to work one weekend a month.
Duties will include:
- Accurately reporting on live, local stories while engaging readers.
- Hold officials accountable and identify patterns and trends within the community.
- Grow coverage of Latino community. Applicants who display bicultural and bilingual skills will be prioritized.
Skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or relevant field.
- At least one year of professional journalism experience is preferred, although new college graduates will be considered.
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news judgment.
- Unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism.
- Demonstrated ability to access and analyze data and records
- Demonstrated ability to learn new skills and technologies
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to take and give constructive criticism
- Strong communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work comfortably in a job that will be fast-paced, data-driven, shaped constantly by feedback and experimentation and always evolving.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).
The salary range for this position is $44,500 to $47,500.
Village Media Colorado provides paid sick days, paid holidays and an optional group benefits plan which includes company-paid insurances in addition to voluntary coverages.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume, along with relevant samples of your work to [email protected] with “Reporter” in the subject line.
About Village Media
Village Media is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion among our staff, volunteers, programs, and partners. We encourage applicants of diverse abilities, backgrounds, and life experiences to apply. If you require accommodations during the selection process, please contact [email protected].
Village Media is an ever-expanding network of local news and community websites. We focus on providing local stories written by local journalists in the communities we serve. In addition to local news, our sites offer weather, events, obituaries and a wide range of community information. We are proud members of the cities where we operate. We support local events and charitable causes and recognize our neighbours’ achievements. We are more than just news: Village Media is all about community.