KVNF Mountain Grown Community Radio
Job Title: Staff Reporter and Morning Edition Host
Reports to: General Manager
Terms: Full-time (36 hours)/Salary
KVNF seeks the next team member for our award-winning news department. This is a unique opportunity to show your hosting personality and collaborate with a staff reporter, production team and freelance journalists. Come work for a 44 years-strong pillar of rural Colorado. We are growing our coverage and have experienced great accolades, and garnered widespread community support due to the visionary management of the board of directors and a hard-working staff.
This position works under the supervision of the General Manager and is responsible for anchoring the signature program Morning Edition from National Public Radio (NPR) weekday mornings as well as identifying and reporting on stories throughout KVNF’s listening area. The Reporter/Host will serve as the primary voice for KVNF’s national and regional news coverage and will have a professional news delivery that fits into both NPR and KVNF’s programming and journalistic philosophies. They will cover a wide range of issues relevant to our varied community and the region. The position is based in Paonia, Colorado and requires a willingness to be flexible in the work schedule and location during certain times of the year.
Major Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Anchoring the station’s daily morning newscasts.
● Researches, writes, reports, and produces a wide variety of stories and series for newscasts.
● Gathers actualities, spots, wraps and voicers for newscasts.
● Produces by collaborating with colleagues for our Public Affairs program, Local Motion weekly.
● Serve as an editor of your colleagues’ copy and ask for edits of your own as well with assistance from RMCR’s editor.
● Participate in trainings and workshops.
● Contributes content to KVNF website daily and social media platforms and Eblast weekly/monthly.
● Provides up-to-the-minute breaking/emergency news coverage as appropriate.
● Scans area media outlets for breaking and relevant regional news.
● Sets and meets deadlines and completes assigned duties on time.
● Assists in fundraising efforts and community outreach such as membership drives and events when needed. Will include occasional nights/weekends.
● Attends and participates in all general staff meetings.
● Attends and participates in weekly news story meetings.
● Attends (in person and virtually) and covers local government meetings when possible.
● Participate in live events.
● Engages with the community as a professional, respectful representative of KVNF.
● Other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
The Staff Reporter must have at least 1 year experience in radio and/or print journalism or a demonstrated equivalent. Demonstrated experience in hosting, board operations, audio and digital editing, and strong verbal reporting skills. A strong interest in local and regional news is expected along with strong oral and written communication skills. An understanding of NPR’s programming, philosophy, style, and code of ethics is essential. An ability to prioritize tasks, manage time effectively, and work independently is necessary; along with the ability to work with a diverse group of volunteers, staff members and freelancers. Community radio and/or nonprofit experience are a plus.
Essential Core Competencies: Written Communication, Organizing and Planning, Active Listening, Informal Communication.
Essential Physical Functions: Ability to travel to reporting gigs, fundraisers, Studio M located in Montrose CO, and events.
Equipment used: Audio engineering equipment, broadcast equipment, and computers with specialized software.
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
● Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
● Interact professionally with co-workers, volunteers, board and community members.
● Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
● Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
Annual Salary: Minimum hours 36 per week. Salary range of $38,000 - $42,000 DOE.
Benefits: Health stipend, generous paid time off, and mileage reimbursement available.
The Open Media Foundation is recruiting on behalf of KVNF Community Radio. Please submit a cover letter, references, resume, and three links or files to samples of your work. Preferences to submissions are given to applications submitted by 5 PM on Monday, September 26th to [email protected] with "Reporter/Host at KVNF" in the subject line. The deadline for applications is 30 days from the date of this announcement.
KVNF is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, age, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation. All personnel and employment decisions shall be administered on the same non-discriminatory basis.
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withFacebook Twitter