Director of Development
EdSource is searching for an experienced and strategic Director of Development, who will serve as a partner to the Executive Director as part of the organization’s senior leadership team. The Director will spearhead new and existing initiatives to secure direct support from foundations, individual donors and corporations to diversify the organization’s portfolio and revenue.
Candidates who are strategic, thoughtful and results-oriented will thrive in this fast-paced environment. The Director will ensure timely, engaging and meaningful reporting to funders. The successful candidate will be highly collaborative and flexible.
Founded in 1977, EdSource has earned its reputation as a highly respected and independent nonprofit newsroom with a long track record of reporting on important education issues, from early education to postsecondary. While its primary focus is on California, EdSource covers issues within a national context.
This hybrid position is based in EdSource’s headquarters in downtown Oakland, although the organization is currently working remotely.
- Develop strategic annual fundraising plan, working closely with the Executive Director;
- Oversee the EdSource portfolio of grants, contracts, and donations, including developing and writing grant proposals/reports in conjunction with the Executive Director and developing systems for communicating and tracking deliverables;
- Plan and execute daily fundraising operations and activities outlined in the yearly Fundraising Plan/timeline;
- Strengthen and maintain relationships with foundation funders and represent EdSource at meetings, as needed;
- Conduct consistent donor prospecting to identify, research, and confirm new funders/donors with priority on foundation funders for relationship building to obtain new sources of funding;
- Collaborate with the Director of Operations, Office Manager and accountant to track financial and administrative details for grants, donations, and grant proposals and assist with budgeting, as needed;
- Create and implement donor acknowledgement strategy and procedures that engages the Board of Directors and Executive Director in targeted ways;
- Assist Executive Director with launching new external partnerships by providing fundraising expertise, as well as creating and implementing systems, tools, and materials (MOUs, timelines, tracking, etc.) for effective and transparent operations and communications between EdSource, project coordinators, and partners;
- Contribute to the effective marketing and branding of EdSource by working with Director of Communications, Social Media Manager, and other key staff;
- Serve as a strategic thought partner to the organization and provide relevant strategic advice and best practice knowledge;
- Attend the daily and weekly editorial meetings, as well as senior leadership team meetings, in order to stay informed and engaged with EdSource’s priorities, as well as stay abreast of timely educational issues;
- Work with Social Media Manager, Web Designer, Director of Communications, and other key staff to implement aspects of the Fundraising Plan, including NewsMatch, donor communications, and other matters;
- Under the direction of the Executive Director and in collaboration with other senior leaders, Identify, plan, and implement projects in areas of fundraising opportunity, such as a major donor program, a membership program, and online fundraising campaigns as part of each fiscal year’s Fundraising Plan.
- Partner with operations to explore, select, negotiate and implement customer relationship management (CRM);
- Provide expertise and recommendations to the Director of Communications and key staff as EdSource implements new customer relationship management platforms, systems, and procedures for effectively managing reader and donor data information to help manage and ensure accuracy of donor and funder recognition;
- Other responsibilities, as needed.
Send a cover letter, resume and provide contact information for three references, as well as links to your social media accounts and links to, or attachments of, three to six examples of work you have edited to [email protected]. Please include the job title in subject line.
EdSource is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds, all races, colors, origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran statuses, sexual orientations, and marital statuses are strongly encouraged to apply.