Strategic Operations Consultant
Founded in 1977, EdSource is a leading nonprofit journalism organization reporting on education in California.
EdSource is seeking an experienced strategic operations professional to manage the organization’s operations, including supporting human resources.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in operations management, with the goal of maximizing efficiency and effectiveness throughout an organization, while ensuring all activities are aligned with its mission and culture. The strategic operations consultant will be a thought partner of the Executive Director to oversee the selection, implementation and integration of new retirement and benefit policies, procedures, tools and to help build a scalable HR system that will endure and grow as the organization evolves.
All eligible EdSource employees get a percentage of their annual compensation in the form of a “benefit bank” to be spent on a menu of benefits and the strategic operations consultant will partner with leadership to evaluate the system. The strategic operations consultant will work closely with the Director of Operations and Executive Director, with an understanding of benefits, retirement and payroll administration.
Candidates should be California-based, Bay Area is preferable or plan to work in this hybrid position based in EdSource’s headquarters in Oakland.
Benefits and HR
- Lead the evaluation of employee compensation and benefits, including the 403(b) and health savings account;
- Conduct market research, benefit providers and recommend retirement and other benefit plans;
- Manage the negotiation of favorable arrangements with benefit providers;
- Help establish control systems for benefit and retirement compliance with business methods and HR practices;
- Project manage the development, integration, knowledge management of new benefit policies;
- Serve as a thought partner to recommend HR technology solutions and lead successful implementation of suitable Human Resource Information Technology (HRIS);
- Provide advice on HR policies, procedures, and tools for June 1st renewal time frame and April 15 - May 15 open enrollment period;
- In partnership with the Office Manager and Executive Director, manage hiring and onboarding processes for new personnel;
- In partnership with the Office Manager, oversee payroll administration and management;
- Monitor employee benefits and ensure that all benefits, including the 403(b) and health savings account, are properly administered;
- Ensure that annual performance reviews are completed in a timely manner and that all employee personnel files are current;
- Other HR duties as needed and appropriate.
- Partner with the Office Manager to ensure that the internal operations and a within building office transition to hybrid workplace model run smoothly and that processes are put in place to deliver performance and achieve goals.
- Work closely with EdSource's Office Manager and accountant to approve invoices and reconcile monthly transactions.
Budget and Finances
- In partnership with the Office Manager, support and project manage annual Fall audit and follow up on additional audit deliverables;
- Provide budget support in partnership with the Executive Director for the quarterly EdSource Board’s Finance Committee.
- Proven experience in operations or relevant human resource benefits experience in California is a plus, with a minimum of 2-5 years of experience. Preference is for some experience with 501(c) 3 organizations.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal abilities.
- Understand financial reports and accounting processes.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office, Excel, databases and information systems.
Send a cover letter, resume and provide contact information for three references to [email protected] Please include the job title in the subject line.
EdSource is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds, all races, colors, origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran statuses, sexual orientations, and marital statuses are strongly encouraged to apply.