The SVP Publicity is a strategic communications role with responsibility for the day-to-day operation of the publicity department. The SVP conceives, plans and directs the full scope of program publicity, network focused media relations and is the main liaison between communications and the programming department. Under the supervision of the CCO, SVP Publicity has responsibility for the day-to-day operation of the publicity department, including leading the development of comprehensive strategies and initiatives to promote the company’s networks, digital platforms, , programming executives, talent and more. The SVP oversees publicity-oriented project assignments and project management. As the team lead for the publicity group within communications, the SVP is responsible for overseeing the growth and development of each member of the publicity team. The SVP will have oversight for spearheading publicity campaigns, initiatives and events related to all program campaigns with a goal toward driving tune-in, awareness and ratings success for Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries and other digital platforms. The SVP will oversee unit publicists and/or agencies in the execution of campaigns, ensures both traditional and digital messaging for assignments is fully integrated with all other efforts and etiquette across the company’s portfolio, and in accordance with protecting one of the world’s true heritage brands, its networks, businesses and their distinct missions.
- Develop communications and publicity strategies to promote the Crown Media Family Networks, its digital platforms, its content, talent and key programming executives.
- Respond to press inquiries on various matters and serve as primary point of contact with key media members.
- Liaise with Talent Relations and Events team to conceive and execute comprehensive events and campaigns as well as to manage the media footprint of on-screen talent and prepare them for interviews as it relates to Crown Media Family Networks content.
- Partner with a variety of internal parties to support programming and ongoing business needs including programming, marketing, social media, corporate communications, among other groups.
- Liaise with corporate communications to align on crisis and issues management, industry press, press website and key company messaging.
- Strategize to identify new avenues of discovering talent and the introduction of new and emerging talent to programming and development team.
- Manage relationships with outside public relations agencies and consultants.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with talent agents, managers, personal publicists, producers, directors, story editors and writers.
- Oversee communications strategy and manage its execution for awards programs and other industry events.
- Provide senior level strategic media and public relations guidance and direction.
- Partner with Crown Media development executives to determine appropriate information to disseminate to media and creative community.
- Partner with EPs and showrunners to determine potential opportunities for them in the media.
- Encourage, motivate and inspire the team to use creativity and energy to push into new areas of communications and promotions to publicize shows, businesses, executives and talent.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, and conduct annual performance appraisals.
- BA in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Integrated Marketing, Online Marketing and Promotion, Business or other related field
- Prior experience directing communications and publicity for the entertainment industry, specifically for cable or broadcast television networks – scripted experience a plus.
- Minimum of 15 years experience in an in-house progressive program publicity department or PR agencies that have cable TV or broadcast television PR departments as clients
- Minimum of 10 years previous experience of leading and coaching teams
- Prior experience managing event coordination required
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite, i.e., Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Experience executing social media from planning to placement
- Must be a proactive, strategic communications executive with strong media relations skills and contacts; someone who can rapidly create and implement media messages for all distribution platforms
- Must have excellent reputation in public relations and specifically within the entertainment and media industry
- Demonstrates a strong sense for anticipating and preparing for and mitigating issues and potential crisis related to productions, talent and more.
- Requires excellent oral and written transactions (writing samples may be required, writing for position is extensive)
- Have a well-organized work style and leadership skills
- Requires advanced knowledge and understanding of social media broadcasting platforms
- Extensive track record of successful media placements in national broadcast and print outlets
- Must be able communicate effectively and tactfully with all levels of personnel
- Requires close attention to detail
- Requires strict confidentiality when dealing with crisis management, talent or senior executives within Crown Media United States, LLC or Hallmark Cards
- Must be able to deal with fast-paced environment and rigid deadlines
- Must be able to manage the department’s press content scheduling
- Must be able to work flexible hours, and be able to attend various activities before, during and after traditional business hours; must be available for periodic travel
- Interested applicants can apply directly on the Crown Media career site: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=36398&clientkey=477B620764F4A7BADB21CD8BE2241D3A
Crown Media is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, pregnancy, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other legally-protected status. Principals only please.