WISCONSIN PUBLIC RADIO
Working Title: Marketing Manager
Official Title: Marketing Specialist
Unit: Wisconsin Public Radio, University of Wisconsin-Extension
Appointment: Academic Staff 100% fixed term appointment
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Availability: Open until filled; for best consideration apply by Wednesday, November 16
The Marketing Manager plays a leading role in the development, implementation and evaluation of WPR’s statewide marketing plans on air, online and through community events and engagement. The Marketing Manager also oversees community partnerships and promotions in the South Central Region in coordination with the Marketing Director. Key areas of activity include Project Management, Public Relations/Copywriting; Community Partnerships; Digital Engagement; and Evaluation. Reports to the Marketing Director and coordinates activities with the marketing team, development, programing and others.
- Develop, implement and evaluate marketing campaigns that support programming, development and other station initiatives in consultation with Marketing Director.
- Manage department projects, including marketing team assignments, deadlines and budgets.
- Write, edit and post/distribute marketing and public relations materials including media releases, print and digital promotional copy, audience-facing emails, e-blasts, e-newsletters and other communications. Support station advocacy and public relations efforts.
- Lead the writing and production of WPR’s Annual Report.
- Foster and maintain relationships with diverse community organizations in the South Central Region (and statewide as needed) to build brand awareness, engagement and audience through partnerships and collaboration.
- Represent the department and the South Central Region on weekly regional manager calls and in-person meetings, manage regional on-air promotions and the regional R2 newsletter.
- Collaborate with Regional Managers and graphics staff on regional ad placements, content and planning.
- Collaborate with Events Manager on promotion, implementation and branding for events.
- Work with WPR Marketing Director and Graphic Designer to develop, purchase and distribute WPR-related promotional products (a.k.a. WPR SWAG), event banners and related event materials.
- Comply with UW and UWEX code of ethics: http://www.uwex.edu/bami/ethics.cfm
- Demonstrates respect in all workplace interactions and relationships.
- Other duties as assigned by Marketing Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Strong project management background working with complex projects and/or outside partners.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and the skills, vision and diplomacy to productively work with staff and others in a variety of cross-departmental and partner projects.
- Ability to juggle priorities and work non-standard hours as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 3 years’ (FTE) experience in marketing, communications and/or public relations.
- Strong oral and written communication skills for print/digital publications, social media and audience research projects.
- Experience with community engagement, partnership development and public speaking.
- Ability to prioritize and work independently in highly collaborative environments under pressure to meet deadlines.
- High level of organization, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively with other staff, management, community partners and vendors.
- Demonstrated support of and commitment to supporting a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- Design and/or event management experience
- Supervisory experience
The start of the pay range for this position is $36,790; we anticipate paying in the mid-40,000s but actual pay will depend on skills and experience. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package including generous vacation, sick leave, health insurance and pension.
HOW TO APPLY
For best consideration, submit all application materials online at our applicant portal https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu. Search for job #12502. Please include: a detailed cover letter outlining how your background and experience compares to the job duties and qualifications of this position, resume and the names and contact information, including email addresses, for at least three references including at least one supervisory reference, and at least three writing samples of promotional or journalistic work where you were the primary author. Direct inquiries and online support questions to: Alex Behnke, Wisconsin Public Radio, 821 University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, 608-263-0477; [email protected].
- This document can be made available in alternative formats by calling the person listed above.
- Employment is contingent upon establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
- It is the policy of UW-Extension to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you require an accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact: [email protected].
- A criminal records background check will be conducted for final candidates. In compliance with the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, the University does not discriminate on the basis of arrest or conviction record. Convictions and pending charges will be considered only if they are substantially related to the circumstances of this position.
- As a unit within the University of Wisconsin Extension, WPR is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and no qualified applicant will be eliminated from consideration. WPR is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and to maintaining an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion. We want our staff and programming to reflect the rich culture and diversity of our state and actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.