Do you have a passion for producing innovative and visually striking stories? Do you like working in fast-paced environments with tight deadlines? CalMatters is looking for an assistant photo editor to join our team!
The qualified candidate should demonstrate experience in the production of top-quality, thoughtful and creative visual content for our digital platforms. The ideal candidate will collaborate across departments and work with editors and reporters to create compelling stories for our readers, while helping to manage a growing photo team. The assistant photo editor will be responsible for editing photographs, planning visuals and directing freelance photographers on assignments. The editor will also ensure that our visual content conforms to our high-quality standards and will ensure coverage for important events for daily and enterprise projects.
If you already applied for our recent opening for a photo editor and are interested in this position, you’re already being considered for this role and don’t have to apply again.
- Work closely with senior photo editor to guide projects and set quality benchmarks for visual journalism
- Ensure visual work conforms to editorial standards
- Assign photo requests from reporters and editors
- Identify topics and events for future photo and video coverage
- Coordinate with reporters and editors to ensure accurate and timely coverage of photo and video assignments
- Assure that visual assignments are timely submitted with accurate captions and information
- Assist in the scheduling of staff and freelance photographers
- Intermediary between photographers and reporters
- Work with freelance photographers to assign and manage photo assignments
- Assist in recruiting and developing new photographers across the state for the freelance roster
- Build relationships with communications offices for knowledge of press events and photo opportunities
- Comfortable working with the social media team to connect with our audience
- Manage visual assets and digital archives
- Produce photo essays and some video content for enterprise projects and daily news
- Manage and evaluate freelance photographers
- Assist in managing the freelance photography budget
- Assist in managing the photo team and a roster of statewide freelancers
Qualities of an ideal candidate:
- At least three years experience working with media outlets or related field
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, photography or related field
- Experience in shooting and editing video and photos
- Knowledge of current photo and video editing software programs: Photoshop, Photo Mechanic, Lightroom, Premiere, Final Cut
- Experience editing photographs, captions and video
- Comfortable working with photo, video, audio and lighting equipment
- Occasional night and weekend work required
- Strong news judgment
- Able to work under pressure in a fast paced environment
- Knowledge of media and copyright law
We are an expanding and collaborative newsroom, successfully forging a new model for sustainable, intelligent, nonprofit journalism. We offer excellent health and retirement benefits, including a 401k match, regular workshops and trainings and an annual professional development stipend. We’re committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
If you’re interested, please provide a resume, a cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job and links to at least six online samples of your work. Write to [email protected] with the job title in the subject line.