If you’re an experienced journalist with a passion for talent development and newsroom operations, you might be the perfect Newsroom Coordinator at CalMatters.
With four dozen people in our growing newsroom, we’re looking for the right person to take the lead in five crucial areas:
- Professional development: Help your colleagues grow by facilitating an active program of training, fellowships, conference attendance and more, with annual plans for each journalist.
- Newsroom administration: Manage freelancer relationships, contest entries, schedules, grant obligations, press credentials and related tasks.
- Recruiting: Identify and track potential future staffers and manage the internship program, with an eye toward building a newsroom, and an industry, that reflect the diversity of our state.
- Event programming: Handle the editorial side of our events, working with the newsroom to identify great speakers and assemble insightful panels.
- Editing: Help to manage the production of the site, copy editing stories and occasionally pitching in as an editor or producer.
The ideal candidate will have experience as a working journalist and perhaps as an editor, with strong writing and organizing skills. We’re looking for a natural collaborator with great people skills who wants to help make an amazing seven-year-old nonprofit newsroom even better.
CalMatters, launched seven years ago, is an award-winning nonprofit, nonpartisan news venture dedicated to explaining the policy and politics of America’s biggest state and the world’s fifth largest economy. We produce vivid, original journalism and data-driven news analyses and watchdog reporting that’s distributed to more than 250 media partners on calmatters.org and NPR partners statewide.
Compensation and Benefits
The base salary for this position is $75,000 per year; higher compensation may be available for someone with advanced skills and/or experience.
CalMatters offers a complete benefits package with medical, dental and vision insurance – we cover 90% of the cost for employees and 70% for dependents – from a range of HMO and PPO providers. We’ll match contributions of up to 4% of your salary to our 401(k) program, provide life insurance at no cost, and give you an allowance for personal use of your cell phone and a budget for professional development opportunities like classes and conferences.
We are an expanding and collaborative newsroom, successfully forging a new model for sustainable, intelligent, nonprofit journalism. We’re committed to reflecting the people of the state we serve and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
If you’re interested, please provide a resume and a cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job. Apply on our website at CalMatters.org.