Chalkbeat, the nonprofit news organization covering educational change efforts in the communities where improvement matters most, is seeking a seasoned reporter to serve as our first Newark senior reporter.
Newark represents a key challenge in education: a concentration of poor students in a place with few resources. It’s also a place where some of the most powerful people have insisted that the problems of poverty can be solved with the right combination of policies, outsiders, and money. Tracking those efforts and their effects on students and the city is one of the most important and interesting stories in American education. Chalkbeat’s senior reporter gets to tell that story to readers locally and across the country.
The senior reporter will be Chalkbeat’s face and voice in Newark, developing and executing stories that tell this important story and building relationships with key players in the local community. You’ll also collaborate with our growing team of experienced education journalists in other locations.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Being the best beat reporter covering education in Newark by developing strong, reliable sources; advancing stories over time; and keeping an eye on people on the ground and in seats of power;
- Writing 2-3 stories a week, ranging from breaking news and quick hits to enterprise and investigative projects, as appropriate;
- Explaining what’s important about education change in Newark to readers locally and nationally;
- Communicating with readers through a weekly newsletter, social media, and the reporting process.
What background and skills do you have?
- An experienced beat reporter, especially about urban issues;
- Passionate about the future of American cities and their children;
- Familiar with issues affecting urban education and early childhood education;
- Comfortable working on your own as well as being part of a remote team; and
- Hungry to break news and and enthusiastic about creating new models for sustainable journalism.
Bonus points if you’ve got:
- Connections to Newark
- The ability to report in Spanish
- Experience covering money and power
We’re launching our coverage in Newark, led by the senior reporter, as a one-year pilot with the potential to extend. Chalkbeat offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package, including a week-long paid winter break.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to ensuring that education improves. Currently in five locations and growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better schools. Read more about our mission and values.
How to Apply
Please send links to five relevant clips, a PDF of your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and where you heard about it to email@example.com. Include “Newark Senior Reporter” in the subject line. Chalkbeat is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. Chalkbeat encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientations and marital statuses to apply.