If you’re a veteran editor who moves seamlessly from daily news stories to long-term projects and gets the best out of experienced journalists while coaching newer ones, you might be the next Deputy News Editor at CalMatters.
Why you? You know the intricacies of policy and politics coverage and how to make important topics accessible for the people they affect. You help reporters own their beats. You have excellent writing and editing and analytical skills. You bring in-depth stories to life with text, photos, graphics, data visualization, audio and video. And you’re known for integrity, high energy, a can-do attitude, flexibility and unflappability.
In four years, CalMatters has become the largest newsroom covering California policy and politics. We’re a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, and we give our coverage at no cost to more than 180 media outlets in California. With you on the team, we’ll build on that success with deeper coverage and impactful projects.
Most of our team is in Sacramento, so that’s the ideal place for this editor, but we can be flexible for the right person.
- Work with reporters to brainstorm, develop and produce lively coverage—from timely briefs to rigorously reported projects—that tells Californians what’s going on in state government and how it affects their lives.
- Encourage and exemplify a culture of innovation in storytelling.
- Produce editorial packages in our WordPress publishing system.
- Be part of the newsroom management team, developing story plans, maintaining calendars, coordinating with other staffers and freelancers, setting and evaluating goals, and managing expenses
- Prepare content for distribution to dozens of media partners and communicate and coordinate with those partners
We are an expanding and collaborative newsroom, successfully forging a new model for sustainable, intelligent, nonprofit journalism. We’re committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. If you’re interested, please provide a resume, a cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job and links to at least six online samples of your work. Write to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line. You can view the posting on our website: https://calmatters.org/about/jobs/deputy-news-editor/