If you love helping people understand complex issues and you’re skilled with online publishing and graphics tools, you might be the perfect production assistant for CalMatters.
We are looking for somebody who can work with our editors and reporters to present our journalism online. You’ll prepare our stories and photos for publication in WordPress and in social channels. You’ll use graphics software like Infogram and Flourish to build charts and visualizations. You’ll help optimize our stories, headlines and tags so they can be found in searches. And you’ll prepare our work so it can be shared with our media partners all over California.
This is an opportunity to work with a growing news organization where creative presentation is a priority and we do it with the latest tools and techniques. Experience with this kind of work is preferred, but you can learn some of these tools on the job. While we’re all working remotely for now, you’ll work in our downtown Sacramento office once it reopens.
- Collaboration with reporters and editors on production needs and timely copy flow.
- Creative thinking about formats and features for quality presentations.
- Publication of long-term projects in multiple storytelling formats.
- Presentation of our work in many forms, including explainers, blogs, social embeds, longform stories, photo galleries and newsletters.
These would be a plus:
- Experience or education that demonstrates a passion for journalism or storytelling.
- Experience in web production, preferably in a news organization.
- A collaborative personality and the ability to well with a variety of people who play different roles throughout the organization.
- Working knowledge of, and experience with, search engine optimization.
We are an expanding and collaborative newsroom, successfully forging a new model for sustainable, intelligent, nonprofit journalism. We’re committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. If you’re interested, please provide a resume, a cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job and links to at least six online samples of your work. Write to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line.