Reporting to the Director of Public Relations, the Public Relations Specialist will be a core member of Sidley’s dynamic PR team responsible for the execution of high-impact public relations activities that support the firm’s global strategy. S/He will play a central role in a variety of activities including engaging with media to secure opportunities for Sidley lawyers to showcase their thought leadership, serving as project manager on multiple initiatives simultaneously, drafting communications materials for external and internal audiences, media monitoring and tracking, and educating internal stakeholders on PR best practices. The Public Relations Specialist must be an exceptional writer, self-starter and team player with strong interpersonal communication, organization and project management skills.
- Implements public relations activities that are consistent with the firm’s global strategy, organizational needs and business goals.
- Distills complex messages to create written materials including press releases, pitches and messaging documents that are error free, on point and appropriate for the intended audience.
- Evaluates media opportunities for potential conflicts in order to minimize risk to the firm and secures approvals for lawyers to participate in media activity.
- Helps guide Sidley lawyers and key stakeholders within the marketing department and the broader firm on PR best practices.
- Proactively identifies opportunities for the firm to earn positive media coverage by developing original story/pitch ideas.
- Independently researches, identifies and secures opportunities for lawyers to be positioned as thought leaders with the media and to publish byline articles.
- Assists with the preparation of annual PR measurement reports through determining appropriate content and key takeaways that will serve to drive the PR strategy for the coming year.
- Assists with administrative projects including media coverage monitoring, tracking and reporting as needed.
- Other duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the Duties and Responsibilities (Duties) above satisfactorily and meet the requirements below. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. If you need such an accommodation, please email [email protected] (current employees should contact Human Resources).
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Communication, English, Journalism, or Public Relations
- A minimum of five years Public Relations experience
- Extensive writing, organizational and project management experience
- Prior Law Firm experience
- Prior PR agency experience
- Experience with Cision
Other Skills and Abilities:
The following will also be required of the successful candidate:
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Good judgment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to work harmoniously and effectively with others
- Able to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Able to work under pressure
- Able to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities
Sidley Austin LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.