EdSource, a nonprofit organization with the largest team of education reporters in California, is seeking an enterprising reporter to cover immigration and education issues, with a special focus on English learners. The reporter will cover a wide range of issues facing a state of the size and diversity of California, as well as place stories in a national context.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of writing relevant, engaging and data-driven stories and possess multimedia skills. We’re looking for a creative and resourceful reporter with a knack for distilling complex topics and education jargon into clear, compelling features, and shed new light on the intersection of immigration and education.
Writing for EdSource provides an unusual opportunity to write on the most significant changes occurring in public education.
Founded in 1977, EdSource is a highly respected independent, nonprofit organization with a long track record of reporting on important education issues. It is recognized as one of the most authoritative sources of education reporting in California, the state with the nation’s largest system of public education.
Articles are published online, in daily email newsletters, as well as through partnerships with other news organizations.
The position will be based in EdSource’s headquarters in Oakland or its Los Angeles bureau, although initially the selected candidate may work remotely depending on the status of the coronavirus epidemic at that time.
- At least 5 years of professional reporting experience, preferably working with a daily journalism publication.
- Excellent writing skills, along with the ability to place issues within a larger context.
- Creative self-starter who is eager to explore new ways of covering issues in education through multimedia digital formats.
- Strong digital skills, including podcast and video experience, a plus.
- Experience in education reporting and children’s issues preferred but not required.
- Proven ability to work independently under deadline pressures and as part of a team; commitment to working collaboratively.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write lively and knowledgeable stories in a variety of styles and formats, including enterprise, investigative and breaking news stories.
- Maintain an active online presence, as well as develop new ways to build an audience.
- Other duties as assigned.
Along with the opportunity to do meaningful work with a team of experienced journalists, EdSource offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a range of medical plans, a retirement savings plan, generous vacation leave and paid holidays, as well as professional development opportunities.
Send a cover letter, resume and provide contact information for three references, as well as links to your social media accounts and links to, or attachments of, four to six examples of your written/digital work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in subject line.