EdSource, a California nonprofit organization with the state’s largest team of education reporters, is seeking an enterprising reporter to cover student wellness and school climate, with a secondary focus on alternative discipline strategies.
A successful candidate will have a proven track record of developing relevant, engaging and data-driven stories and possess multimedia skills. We’re looking for a creative and resourceful reporter with a knack for distilling complex topics and education jargon into clear, compelling features that shed new light on issues and trends across pre-school, K-12 and postsecondary levels.
Reporter must have excellent news judgment and bring a strong watchdog focus to her or his beat. Writing for EdSource provides an unusual opportunity to break from the treadmill of daily reporting, and write on the most significant changes occurring in public education.
EdSource is one of the nation’s most established and respected nonprofit journalism organizations, with a long track record of reporting on important education issues. While its principal focus is on California, EdSource covers issues within a national context.
Reporters will join an influential and growing organization recognized as one of the most authoritative sources of education reporting in a state with the nation’s largest system of public education. Articles are published online, in daily email newsletters, and through partnerships with other news organizations.
Position can be based in Oakland or Los Angeles.
- At least 7 years of professional media experience, preferably working with a daily journalism publication;
- Excellent writing skills, along with the ability to report aggressively and place issues within a larger context;
- Creative self-starter who is eager to explore new ways of covering issues in education through multimedia digital formats;
- Strong digital skills, including podcast and video experience, are a plus;
- Experience in education reporting and children’s issues preferred but not required;
- Proven ability to work independently under deadline pressures, and as part of a team; commitment to working collaboratively.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write lively and knowledgeable stories in a variety of styles and formats, including enterprise, investigative and breaking news stories;
- Maintain an active online presence, as well as develop new ways to build an audience.
Along with the opportunity to do meaningful work with a team of experienced journalists, EdSource offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a range of medical plans, a retirement savings plan, generous vacation leave and paid holidays, as well as professional development opportunities.
Send a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references, links to your social media accounts and links to, or attachments of, four to six examples of your written/digital work to [email protected]. Please include job title in subject line.