Fuse Media is currently seeking a freelance Showrunner for Original Programming. The Showrunner will manage current series for Fuse Media. The ideal candidate is a music culture junkie who lives and breathes the latest trends in fashion, food, technology, influencers, and social advocacy and with an intuitive sense of what will resonate with Fuse’s multicultural millennial audience. This position is based in our Glendale, CA headquarters and reports to the SVP of Original Programming & Development.
THE KEY BITS
- Act as sole Showrunner on multiple series simultaneously.
- Hire and manage support staff and crew on each series.
- Work in conjunction with the Development departments (both internal Linear and the Fuse Digital Content Studio) to transition shows that have been picked up from Development and/or Digital into Linear Current series.
- Provide notes on all creative materials – casting, cuts, outlines and scripts.
- Liaise with the Legal team to ensure all deals are moving forward and closing in a timely manner.
- Liaise with the Production Management team to ensure all concepts are fully realized with appropriate deliverables, budget and calendar support throughout all stages of production.
- Serve as liaison between production and other network departments including publicity, production management, post-production, social and digital, business affairs, etc.
- Create and evolve an onscreen style and aesthetic utilizing Fuse’s Content filter on POV.
- Cultivate unique, compelling and brand-appropriate content.
- Flesh out internal concepts and create materials to pitch up internally; including writing treatments, creating talent lists and beating out formats.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING
Production experience as Showrunner, Executive Producer or Co-Executive Producer
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or an equivalent combination of skills, training and hands-on experience
- Must have a deep knowledge of and passion for music culture and unscripted content
- Must have the ability to identify production staff and talent necessary to develop successful series for Fuse
- Proven record of demonstrated creativity with an ability to translate ideas into high-quality programs
- An independent thinker and idea-generator that is adept at managing a team of the same
- Ability to manage other production staff, build credibility and strong working relationships with other internal partners
- Proactive, deadline and detail-oriented, outstanding judgment and creative abilities, strong verbal and written communication, effective business management skills - organizational, interpersonal, prioritization, motivational
- Available to travel, sometimes with short notice, to location shoots when appropriate
The General Manager is the senior leader of WLIW’s non-profit Southampton radio station and key liaison to the integration with WLIW-TV, in support of the vision, mission, and strategic plans of the WLIW enterprise.
The General Manager leads all aspects of the radio station, including revenue generation, programming, operations, marketing and staff, while serving and growing the audience to fulfill the goal of becoming an essential local institution throughout the East End and Long Island community. The General Manager must be community-focused, passionate about the region and effective at helping grow the station’s individual giving, underwriting revenue, and philanthropic support, while develop and maintain effective staff, organizational structure, and processes.
In addition, the General Manager is responsible for leveraging WLIW’s dual licensee status through the cross-integration of radio and television programming at the direction of, and through close interaction with the Vice President and General Manager of WLIW21. Key responsibilities include:
• Plans and implements activities to achieve WLIW Radio’s mission which includes establishing and implementing short-and long-range organizational goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures and ensuring program effectiveness.
• Directs day-to-day operations of WLIW, ensuring that each staff member and department effectively contributes to the radio overall goals.
• Develops and implements strategies for generating revenue for the station through underwriting and fundraising in conjunction with WLIW21 and Development.
• Draws fully on the talents of the organization’s staff and continues to build, motivate and retain an outstanding professional team.
• Develops annual operating budgets and provides fiscal direction to the station in concert with WLIW21 Vice President and General Manager and parent company WNET. Is responsible for budgeting and budget tracking, oversight of bookkeeping and audits, maintenance of records, grant tracking and reporting, and financial reporting to the college and granting agencies, as directed by WLIW21 and parent company WNET.
• Ensures compliance with college policies and mandates of local, state, and federal agencies, including the Federal Communications Commission;
• Additional duties, as assigned.
Audience and Community Engagement
• Represents the station to the community. Oversees station outreach to members, listeners, and the community at large. Proactively interacts with businesses, organizations, schools, and government agencies and institutions to build collaborative relationships with these entities.
• Oversees fundraising, including major giving campaigns, and is responsible for assuring sufficient funds are available for station operations through donor cultivation, development and recognition, membership development, fundraising events, grant writing and reporting. Maintains relationships with granting agencies and organizations in conjunction with WLIW21 and Development.
• Oversees marketing programs and activities, including website and print promotions in conjunction with WLIW21, and Marketing and Communications.
• Establishes and oversees a community engagement strategy that supports the mission of becoming an essential institution for the East End of Long Island.
• Works with the station’s community advisory board, preparing regular financial and station activity reports and seeking its input on strategic planning and initiatives in conjunction with WLIW21/WNET).
On Air Operations
• Oversees the day-to-day operation and program activities of the radio and internet broadcast facility.
• Works with news leadership at the radio station and at WLIW/WNET to determine the local news coverage strategy, as well as hire and oversee the journalistic activities of news staff at the station.
• Oversees total radio production efforts and cross-integration of radio with television programming, including acquisition, schedule development, proposal writing, creation of production projects, and contract negotiations.
• Oversees operational and technical systems necessary to carry out the on-air and internet operation of the station and production of programs in conjunction with WLIW21/WNET.
• Develops and implements initiatives to expand audience services, improve facilities, and update broadcasting technology in conjunction with WLIW21/WNET.
Qualified candidates will possess strong interpersonal skills, the ability to build and maintain relationships among local leaders, businesses and influential members of the community; excellent verbal and written communication skills; the ability to think critically and solve problems; good judgment and organizational skills and strong leadership and experience building high performing teams. Additional qualifications include:
• A minimum of ten (10) years of radio management experience; significant non-profit management experience as well as experience with television, journalism and digital media preferred;
• Keen understanding of radio and internet broadcasting operations (strategies, tools, methods, techniques, facilities and equipment); demonstrated ability to effectively manage personnel
• Demonstrated discretion in handling confidential/ sensitive information
• BA/BS or equivalent experience.
Preferred candidates are local to the region, living within close proximity of Southampton and/or in Plainview, New York; have significant knowledge and experience working on public media, fundraising, radio/audio program production, contracts and grants; and/or have experience playing a leadership role in overseeing a journalistic operation.
Apply online at WNET Careers
825 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10019-7435
WNET is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, creed, color, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy or pregnancy related condition, marital and partnership status, familial status, arrest or conviction record, union membership, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sex offense, unemployment status, caregiver status, credit history, salary history, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, an employee's or an employee's dependent's sexual and reproductive health decisions, as well as all other classifications protected by applicable laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, promotions, benefits, leaves of absence.
If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
WLS-TV is seeking an experienced, hands on Multi-Platform Editor who can edit and create innovative material for all our platforms as well as serve as a fill-in media supervisor.
The candidate will support our multi-platform newsroom with a strong emphasis on content editing and creation. Specific responsibilities include accurate, fast and efficient non-linear news editing; supervising and assigning news editors; managing different media formats; managing media deadlines for multiple newscasts. This individual will work closely with editors, news producers, executive producers and management to ensure the timely and accurate production of newscasts, special reports, special segments and digital content. Good communication skills are imperative.
- Qualified applicants will have significant experience in modern news production techniques including Adobe Premier non-linear edit systems, media asset management (MAM), production automation systems and network/IP- based media systems.
- Candidates must demonstrate exceptional interpersonal skills, and be proficient verbal and written communicators.
- Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools and procedures to address short and long-term challenges.
- Excellent analytical, diagnostic and problem solving skills coupled with the ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience with news production.
- Proficiency in Windows and Mac operating systems, file transcoding and transfer mechanisms, Adobe product line.
A college degree or equivalent is required
WLS-TV is a 24/7 operation and the candidate may be required to work non-traditional shifts such as weekends/holidays, and be willing to work extra hours as needed.
To apply, please log on to: www.disneycareers.com and search for Requisition ID #746020BR
No phone calls please.
Equal Opportunity Employer-Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
WLS-TV in Chicago is looking for a Weekend Daypart Executive Producer to oversee all of our platforms and lead our weekend content creation team. This EP will be responsible for content for our newscasts, digital properties and social platforms. A successful candidate will have strong leadership skills, impeccable news judgment and excellent digital and social media abilities. You should also be familiar with the Chicago news market and be able to guide, coach and mentor staff. We’re looking for someone with a creative and competitive spirit.
- Oversee editorial content for weekend newscasts, digital and social platforms, including story selection, production and newsroom management
- Design and implement strategies to engage and build audiences across platforms
- Collaborate with and manage weekend producers and newsroom staff
- Conflict resolution and team engagement to address any issues that may arise in the newsroom
- Manage weekend staffing needs and schedules
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in news production in a major TV market
- Experience managing a team
- Demonstrated ability to work under deadline pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be flexible with working hours and adaptable to change.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication or related field
Candidates should upload their cover letter and resume at www.disneycareers.com
Requisition ID # 744727BR
No phone calls, please.
Equal Opportunity Employer – Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
WLS-TV, Chicago, is seeking an experienced ENG News Photographer to fill a Vacation Relief position.
Successful candidate will have a proven track record in the fast-paced, high-pressured environment of daily local news gathering. Candidate should possess excellent people skills, and a strong work ethic.
- Working knowledge of P2 camera systems, Adobe Premier Pro editing and bonded cellular transmission technologies (Dejero and Live U)
- Able to operate ENG and SNG vehicles and live remote equipment
- Able to produce high-impact visuals to support all platforms
- Skilled editor open to innovative story telling
- Applicants must be able to lift and carry 30 lbs. of equipment
- Able to work all shifts including nights, weekends and holidays
Applicant should have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a major market, a college degree and a valid driver’s license, with a good driving record.
This position is represented by NABET
All interested applicants must apply on-line at www.disneycareers.com by uploading a resume file, cover letter and list of references. Requisition ID# 743086BR
No phone calls, please.
Equal Opportunity Employer – Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
If you are a multimedia journalist who marvels at how technology is shaping the future and is fascinated by the decisions society has to make to capture the benefit of innovation while balancing the influence of corporate interests, malign hackers or states, major industry creation and disruption, app jobs and automation, you might be the next technology reporter at CalMatters.
This reporter will cover one of the biggest evolutions in human history from ground zero, California. This year, in America’s most entrepreneurial state and the home of Silicon Valley, voters will likely decide two major battles about privacy and job quality. Each will involve millions of dollars from leading technology companies and the outcomes will echo around the world. But there are many, many more decisions being made at the state level in California about how to encourage innovation and protect against its weaponization or harm to workers.
We are looking for a special reporter on this unique job. This reporter will have radio and print journalism skills because he or she will be writing stories and participating in broadcast media including a possible podcast. This reporter is more likely to be savvy about the tech industry and maybe new to the policy world — rather than the other way around. But the reporter will also work closely with legislators and staff, the governor’s office, Sacramento lobbyists and advocates.
- Report and write longform and short stories and multimedia presentations about California technology issues with close attention to state policies and legislation, the lobby community and advocates.
- Think creatively about formats and tools for communicating technology issues to a broad, statewide audience.
- Participate in radio shows, public events and live video.
- Work with our data, visual and social media journalists to create the best presentations of technology stories.
These would be a plus:
- There is a strong preference this reporter will be based in Sacramento
- Experience at covering the technology industry or tech policy
- An understanding of technology policy, especially in California
We are an expanding and collaborative newsroom, successfully forging a new model for sustainable, intelligent, nonprofit journalism. We’re committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. If you’re interested, please provide a resume, a cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job and links to at least six online samples of your work. Write to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line.