WNET New York Public Media
The Chief Technology Officer is a key member of WNET’s senior management team and partners with senior leaders to identify and implement a technology vision that is aligned with the interests of the business and ensures the full support for all of WNET’s operations. The CTO oversees the advancement of the technological software and infrastructure architecture that supports and enhances the mission of WNET.
The CTO oversees WNET’s IT infrastructure, hosting and applications and provides thought leadership in innovation and strategy regarding the future anticipated technological developments in the areas of content delivery for broadcast, cable, information technology, systems, new media applications and web technology. The CTO will also provide leadership and vision to the Board of Trustees in all technology related matters.
The CTO leads a systems and technology team that operates at the highest level to support the IT infrastructure of the organization, fostering sound business practices, cost effectiveness and accountability. The CTO leads a cross functional team to ensure that WNET’s IT operational requirements are fulfilled to include: fully integrated systems, data reporting, production operations, broadcast distribution and Interactive.
Key responsibilities include:
• Work collaboratively with the President and the WNET Senior Management to direct the strategic design, acquisition, implementation, and operational management of all technology infrastructure and capabilities across the organization;
• Partner with other senior leaders to direct and support the strategic design, implementation, and operational management of all digital products;
• Develop and implement a sustainable technology planning process at WNET;
• Along with the President and Senior Management team, oversee the operations of all technical facilities and the supporting workflow ongoing maintenance of these facilities;
• Establish, communicate, and maintain all technology best practices and standards, including those related to software, hardware, cloud services, data collection / retention, and data privacy management to internal management (including Board of Trustees) as well as to PBS, technology community and outside consultants;
• Develop standards and practices and oversee business continuity and recovery systems for natural disasters, political uncertainty and any other unforeseen events that could affect operations;
• Establish and drive all cybersecurity and technology governance practices, processes, and controls;
• Build and maintain the operational tools, resources, and processes needed to provide appropriate availability, scalability, and service levels across all technology services and infrastructure;
• Develop and maintain qualified, diverse talent through appropriate hiring, staff development and training, and effective, timely performance feedback;
• In partnership with the CFO, implement enterprise wide procurement practices with significant client/vendors for Technology whether for hardware, software and/or services;
• Work collaboratively with other departments across WNET, and with other PBS constituencies, as appropriate, to ensure a high level of communication, understanding and customer satisfaction for technology projects;
• Balance risk against capital and operating expenses while managing department and capital budgets and equipment grant applications;
• Actively participate in the audit process both for technology and for the enterprise;
• Additional duties, as assigned.
• A minimum of 10 years of experience in a production/broadcast/digital environment and in-depth knowledge of broadcast, information technology and digital technologies used in the industry;
• Experience with digital audio/video formats and technology;
• Solid understanding of current application development tools and practices and with operating systems;
• Proven experience in managing a technology and operations function from a financial and managerial point of view;
• Strong operational background and ability to design broadcast production systems and processes;
• Ability to implement excellent customer service based processes;
• Hands-on experience in attracting and retaining innovative, technologically savvy talent;
• Negotiation experience with clients, vendors, and technology business partners;
• Familiarity with market for broadband distribution services;
• A BA/BS or equivalent work experience.
Candidates with a technical and/or business postgraduate degree are preferred.
Apply online at WNET Careers.
WNET New York Public Media
825 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10019-7435
WNET is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, creed, color, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy or pregnancy related condition, marital and partnership status, familial status, arrest or conviction record, union membership, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sex offense, unemployment status, caregiver status, credit history, salary history, military or protected veteran status, predisposing genetic characteristics, an employee's or an employee's dependent's sexual and reproductive health decisions, as well as all other classifications protected by applicable laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, promotions, benefits, leaves of absence.
If you have a disability and you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please email [email protected] or call toll-free 1-800-992-7519.