General Manager, WLIW Radio
The General Manager is the senior leader of WLIW’s non-profit Southampton radio station and key liaison to the integration with WLIW-TV, in support of the vision, mission, and strategic plans of the WLIW enterprise.
The General Manager leads all aspects of the radio station, including revenue generation, programming, operations, marketing and staff, while serving and growing the audience to fulfill the goal of becoming an essential local institution throughout the East End and Long Island community. The General Manager must be community-focused, passionate about the region and effective at helping grow the station’s individual giving, underwriting revenue, and philanthropic support, while develop and maintain effective staff, organizational structure, and processes. Key responsibilities include:
• Plans and implements activities to achieve WLIW Radio’s mission which includes establishing and implementing short-and long-range organizational goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures and ensuring program effectiveness.
• Directs day-to-day operations of WLIW, ensuring that each staff member and department effectively contributes to the radio overall goals.
• Develops and implements strategies for generating revenue for the station through underwriting and fundraising in conjunction with WLIW21 and Development.
• Draws fully on the talents of the organization’s staff and continues to build, motivate and retain an outstanding professional team.
• Develops annual operating budgets and provides fiscal direction to the station in concert with WLIW21 Vice President and General Manager and parent company WNET. Is responsible for budgeting and budget tracking, oversight of bookkeeping and audits, maintenance of records, grant tracking and reporting, and financial reporting to the college and granting agencies, as directed by WLIW21 and parent company WNET.
• Ensures compliance with college policies and mandates of local, state, and federal agencies, including the Federal Communications Commission;
• Additional duties, as assigned.
Audience and Community Engagement
• Represents the station to the community. Oversees station outreach to members, listeners, and the community at large. Proactively interacts with businesses, organizations, schools, and government agencies and institutions to build collaborative relationships with these entities.
• Oversees fundraising, including major giving campaigns, and is responsible for assuring sufficient funds are available for station operations through donor cultivation, development and recognition, membership development, fundraising events, grant writing and reporting. Maintains relationships with granting agencies and organizations in conjunction with WLIW21 and Development.
• Oversees marketing programs and activities, including website and print promotions in conjunction with WLIW21, and Marketing and Communications.
• Establishes and oversees a community engagement strategy that supports the mission of becoming an essential institution for the East End of Long Island.
• Works with the station’s community advisory board, preparing regular financial and station activity reports and seeking its input on strategic planning and initiatives in conjunction with WLIW21/WNET).
On Air Operations
• Oversees the day-to-day operation and program activities of the radio and internet broadcast facility.
• Works with news leadership at the radio station and at WLIW/WNET to determine the local news coverage strategy, as well as hire and oversee the journalistic activities of news staff at the station.
• Oversees total radio production efforts and cross-integration of radio with television programming, including acquisition, schedule development, proposal writing, creation of production projects, and contract negotiations.
• Oversees operational and technical systems necessary to carry out the on-air and internet operation of the station and production of programs in conjunction with WLIW21/WNET.
• Develops and implements initiatives to expand audience services, improve facilities, and update broadcasting technology in conjunction with WLIW21/WNET.
Qualified candidates will possess strong interpersonal skills, the ability to build and maintain relationships among local leaders, businesses and influential members of the community; excellent verbal and written communication skills; the ability to think critically and solve problems; good judgment and organizational skills and strong leadership and experience building high performing teams. Additional qualifications include:
• A minimum of ten (10) years of radio management experience; significant non-profit management experience as well as experience with television, journalism and digital media preferred;
• Keen understanding of radio and internet broadcasting operations (strategies, tools, methods, techniques, facilities and equipment); demonstrated ability to effectively manage personnel
• Demonstrated discretion in handling confidential/ sensitive information
• BA/BS or equivalent experience.
Preferred candidates are local to the region, living within close proximity of Southampton and/or in Plainview, New York; have significant knowledge and experience working on public media, fundraising, radio/audio program production, contracts and grants; and/or have experience playing a leadership role in overseeing a journalistic operation.
Apply online at WNET Careers
825 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10019-7435
WNET is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, creed, color, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy or pregnancy related condition, marital and partnership status, familial status, arrest or conviction record, union membership, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sex offense, unemployment status, caregiver status, credit history, salary history, military or protected veteran status, predisposing genetic characteristics, an employee's or an employee's dependent's sexual and reproductive health decisions, as well as all other classifications protected by applicable laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, promotions, benefits, leaves of absence.
If you have a disability and you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please email [email protected] or call toll-free 1-800-992-7519.