NJ Spotlight seeks Managing Editor to lead and manage award-winning digital journalism, focused on public policy and politics in New Jersey.
The Managing Editor works closely with the leadership of NJTV News, our partner, in working across platforms and developing innovative and compelling ways to tell stories. Daily responsibilities include planning and developing digital stories and features with a team of six reporters and editors, with an emphasis on editing and reviewing stories. On a daily basis, the Managing Editor works closely with our sister organization, NJTV News, coordinating and planning coverage. The Managing Editor is a key voice in senior management, and central to the development and execution of the overall vision for NJ Spotlight and NJTV News. Specific responsibilities include:
• Determines editorial guidelines and tone of voice for NJ Spotlight;
• Oversees the editorial team, working closely to develop, plan and execute stories and other content;
• Edits all stories for relevance, accuracy and ease of reading, providing suggestions where necessary to improve them;
• Selects graphic, video or other components to best present content;
• Represents NJ Spotlight at public events; some travel may be required;
• Additional duties, as assigned.
Qualified candidates will be detail oriented and deadline focused, with a meticulous approach, excellent organizational and communication skills, both written and verbal with rigorous editing skills and the ability to uphold the highest possible standards for editorial work. Additional qualifications include:
• A minimum of eight (8) years of successful experience at a digital media news organization, preferably in New Jersey; at least three (3) of those years should have been at a supervisory level (deputy, managing, EIC);
• Successful track record leading journalist teams to grow and digital news platform/brand;
• Solid understanding of digital media landscape; familiarity with video and broadcast platforms;
• Ability to guide and motivate editors and writers; can serve as a trusted leader;
• Passionate interest in New Jersey policy and politics;
• Demonstrated commitment to the highest quality journalism; passionate about creating relevant and strongly reported journalism for an informed audience.
Apply online at NJTV Careers
Public Media NJ, LLP
283-299 Market Street
Newark, NJ 07102
NJTV is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, creed, color, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy or pregnancy related condition, marital and partnership status, familial status, arrest or conviction record, union membership, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sex offense, unemployment status, caregiver status, credit history, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, as well as all other classifications protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.