Who We Are:
Minnesota Public Radio (MPR) is one of the nation's premier public radio stations producing programming for radio, digital and live audiences and operates a 46-station radio network serving nearly all of Minnesota and parts of surrounding states. Reaching 1 million listeners each week, MPR and its three regional services 'MPR News, Classical MPR and The Current' produce programming for radio, digital and live audiences.
American Public Media is the largest station-based public radio organization in the U.S., combining multi-regional station operations, national content creation and distribution in one organization. With a portfolio that includes Live from Here with Chris Thile, BBC World Service, Marketplace and the leading classical music programming in the nation, APM is one of the largest producers of public radio programming in the world. One thousand stations carry American Public Media's 20-plus national programs. Its multi-regional station operations include 49 public radio stations and 42 translators in the Upper Midwest and California.
As the Associate Producer for MPR News, you will work on our flagship program, Morning Edition with Cathy Wurzer. Your role will begin work weekdays at 4:00 a.m. and finish at 9:00 a.m. As the Associate Producer, you will direct the daily live broadcast, creating an ideal flow of national and local news for our statewide audience. This role needs someone who can walk in fresh in the early hours, complete work left for them by the night time staff, write quickly, and work closely with a tech director and host every morning in a fast-paced control room. We are looking for someone who loves live radio and news.
Role is Part-Time, 25 hours a week
Application Deadline: December 27, 2019
- Direct shows, manage the control room, set rundown timing and coordinate with remote studios.
- Make editorial decisions about placement of MPR and NPR content.
- Accurately plan the timing for multiple regional and local breaks per hour.
- Edit audio for broadcast.
- Coordinate guest bookings and technical requirements at remote studios.
- Write scripts and promos and edit and fact-check copy.
- Rewrite copy for accuracy and clarity.
- Greet and interact with live studio guests.
- Support other MPR news programs and special programming as needed.
- Slot regional and national stories.
- Quickly edit national and regional content.
- Make quick decisions about covering breaking news.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- Three or more years production, editorial or related experience.
- Experience with digital audio editing systems.
- Experience writing for web based platforms.
- Familiarity with social media platforms.
- Screen listener phone calls during live broadcasts.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Solid news judgment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working in a control room.
- Demonstrated ability to edit audio.
- Reads widely across a variety of current news sources.
- Ability to generate fresh and strong ideas for the programs.
- Ability to work interdependently within a team while maintaining effective communication and accountability with minimal supervision.
- Ability to react to breaking news, changing situations, and change the program accordingly.
- Excellent organizational skills; effective with details and deadlines.
- Ability to learn new industry specific skills as required.
- Research skills.
- Interest in and general knowledge of news, current events and public radio industry.
- Interpersonal skills, including ability to work collaboratively and effectively with a variety of individuals, such as audience, guests, hosts, and other MPR staff members.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with Dalet newsroom software.
- Skill and experience in field production.
- Experience with live news programming.
- Familiarity with recent Minnesota news stories.
- Familiarity with NPR, BBC and other distributors' programming and schedules.
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Required to walk, sit, and stand
- Reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.