Who We Are:
Minnesota Public Radio (MPR) is one of the nation's premier public radio stations producing programming for radio, digital and live audiences and operates a 46-station radio network serving nearly all of Minnesota and parts of surrounding states. Reaching 1 million listeners each week, MPR and its three regional services 'MPR News, Classical MPR and The Current' produce programming for radio, digital and live audiences.
American Public Media is the largest station-based public radio organization in the U.S., combining multi-regional station operations, national content creation and distribution in one organization. With a portfolio that includes Live from Here with Chris Thile, BBC World Service, Marketplace and the leading classical music programming in the nation, APM is one of the largest producers of public radio programming in the world. One thousand stations carry American Public Media's 20-plus national programs. Its multi-regional station operations include 49 public radio stations and 42 translators in the Upper Midwest and California.
As the Associate Producer for MPR News talk shows, you will work closely with the hosts and other producers to present timely, live conversations about regional, national and international news and culture. Your role supports the booking, production and online presentation of the program including pitching, researching and pre-interviewing potential guests. Additionally, you will also direct live broadcasts, screen calls, prepare internal and external communications about the program, and adapt programs for presentation on MPRNews.org and social media channels.
We are looking for someone who can anticipate what our audience is curious about and identify guests who will satisfy that curiosity in an engaging way. This role is for someone who loves live radio and news and can imagine talk show topics from a fresh perspective. Creativity, enthusiasm and attention to detail are essential qualities in this position.
This position is primarily dedicated to producing MPR News with Angela Davis but could be asked to work with any MPR News program.
This position works 40 hours per week and is eligible for benefits.
Application Deadline: December 27, 2019
- Coordinate guest bookings and technical requirements at remote studios.
- Contribute ideas for future broadcasts.
- Locate, contact, pre-interview, evaluate guests; book guests and confirm bookings.
- Direct shows, manage the control room, set rundown timing and coordinate with remote studios.
- Screen listener phone calls.
- Write promos and scripts and edit and fact-check copy.
- Prepare audio for podcast, digital presentation and re-broadcast.
- Research sources/guests for background and context.
- Rewrite copy for accuracy and clarity.
- Support hosts and prepare briefing materials for hosts.
- Greet and interact with live studio guests.
- Coordinate special projects.
- Help manage MPR News social media channels.
- Support other MPR news programs and special programming as needed.
- Coordinate the work of interns.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- Three or more years production, editorial or related experience.
- Experience with digital audio editing systems.
- Experience writing for web based platforms.
- Familiarity with social media platforms.
- Screen listener phone calls during live broadcasts.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Solid news judgment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to edit audio.
- Reads widely across a variety of current news sources.
- Ability to generate fresh and strong ideas for the programs.
- Ability to work interdependently within a team while maintaining effective communication and accountability with minimal supervision.
- Ability to react to breaking news, changing situations, and change the program accordingly.
- Excellent organizational skills; effective with details and deadlines.
- Ability to learn new industry specific skills as required.
- Research skills.
- Interest in and general knowledge of news, current events and public radio industry.
- Interpersonal skills, including ability to work collaboratively and effectively with a variety of individuals, such as audience, guests, hosts, and other MPR staff members.
- Become and remain a member in good standing of SAG-AFTRA by the thirtieth (30th) day of employment.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with Dalet newsroom software.
- Skill and experience in field production.
- Experience with live news programming.
- Familiarity with recent Minnesota news stories.
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Required to walk, sit, and stand
- Reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.