The primary responsibilities of a WQAD Weekend Meteorologist is to produce and present weather information on the station's newscasts, on social media platforms and engage in storm-tracking when weather happens.
• Anchor weather segments on scheduled newscasts.
• Responsible for the airing of severe weather cut-ins.
• Maintains contact with the national weather service, area meteorologists and weather observers around the viewing area.
• Compile forecasts and other weather data for air using the NOAA weather wire, the weather computer systems, etc.
• Arranges and composes maps and illustrations using the weather graphics computer or other similar device. During severe weather, communicates with Assignment Desk and news crews as needed.
• Makes regular public appearances, including school visits and station promotions.
• Reporting weather related material for newscasts as needed.
• Monitors severe weather overnight and weekends as needed.
• Communications through social media and weather blog.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Minimum 1 year experience
• Meteorological or other like sciences degree.
• Must be able to work under extreme pressure, stress and deadlines.
• Must be able to work holidays, weekends and unusual shifts.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change, e.g., emergencies, changes in personnel, work load, special projects, technological developments, etc.
INTERNAL CONTACTS EXTERNAL CONTACTS
News Staff General Public
Operations Staff National Weather Service
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS POSITION:
Send a resume to Alan Baker, News Director, WQAD News 8, 3003 Park 16th Street, Moline, Illinois 61265-6061 or e-mail at email@example.com
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Tribune Media Company (NYSE: TRCO) is home to a diverse portfolio of television and digital properties driven by quality news, entertainment and sports programming. Tribune Media is comprised of Tribune Broadcasting’s 42 owned or operated local television stations reaching more than 50 million households, national entertainment network WGN America, whose reach is approaching 80 million households, Tribune Studios, and a variety of digital applications and websites commanding 60 million monthly unique visitors online. Tribune Media also includes Chicago’s WGN-AM and the national multicast networks Antenna TV and THIS TV. Additionally, the Company owns and manages a significant number of real estate properties across the U.S. and holds a variety of investments, including a 31% interest in Television Food Network, G.P., which operates Food Network and Cooking Channel. For more information, please visit www.tribunemedia.com.