Mid-major market! NPR-Affiliate! Opportunity to demonstrate Host, Producer and Reporter skills. Are you a digital and social media journalist capable of working most holidays and supporting WCPN’s presentation of the NPR magazines? If so, Northeast Ohio is calling you.
Take advantage of an excellent opportunity to extend your presentation and journalistic skills. Collaborate with key decision-makers in content and work at a public service media institution. We are looking for a star… only apply if your goals reach to the moon.
Must have demonstrated ability to produce in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic and multiple media environment.
To apply go to: www.ideastream.org/careers and click on the job title. Scroll down to the application link.
The primary role of this position is to serve as a fill-in Host/Producer for morning and afternoon drive Host/Producer positions. Additionally, this Full Time Host/Producer will create cuts, spots, two-ways, debriefs and/or feature material for use on the NPR newsmagazines. Create digital and social media journalistic content, host and moderate community event conversations and news presentations.
2. Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Perform on-air, online or in person hosting duties of assigned programming across multiple media platforms such as radio, TV, web, podcasts or community forums with a style that is credible, conversational and polished.
- May conduct live or prerecorded, in-depth interviews with newsmakers, news analysts, experts and others.
- Write newscasts based on ideastream newsroom reporting, wire copy and other sources.
- Respond to breaking news and tight deadlines quickly and professionally.
- Produce and publish content (drawn from multiple internal and external sources) for fast turnaround publishing to ideastream digital platforms; this includes some original reporting. Integrate images, audio, video, links to other resources and other content as appropriate.
- Create multimedia presentations using content that could include photo slideshows, graphics, data visualization, tables, extra audio, video, sidebar stories, etc.
- Serve as a reporter generating story development and production as directed.
- Closely collaborate with Manager of Web & Social Media to create public interaction and dissemination of engaging content through social media.
- Curate and aggregate materials to be posted on websites, included on podcasts and other new media
- Consistently engage with audiences in comment threads or social media venues.
- Closely collaborate with News Department and participate in editorial meetings as assigned.
- Participate, and often drive, community engagement activity
- Participate in on or off air fundraisers and outreach activities as assigned
- Takes direction from Station Manager with respect to collaboration with operations, traffic and content
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Demonstrated creative and analytic journalistic abilities. Demonstrated production skills in digital, radio and/or TV, including non-linear and audio editing software and techniques or aptitude to be trained to use those tools. Demonstrated ability to utilize engagement and/or research towards the production of journalistic content. Familiarity with multiple content platforms – audio, video, online, print and social media venues. Familiarity with public radio journalism a plus. Must be a strong writer and interviewer with demonstrated judgment. Should have pleasant on and off-air delivery and credible presence. Ability to use computers to research, enter, access and retrieve data. Use word processing software.
Demonstrated knowledge of cutting edge and innovative uses of media, journalism and technology. Curiosity about and willingness to experiment with new technologies and processes. Good organizational skills. Meets deadlines. Team player capable of taking direction, contributing to group discussion, and working well with others. Problem solving skills.
Moderate experience as a full-time journalist, including professional level work in broadcasting. Experience in moderating conversations either live or online. Demonstrated proficient hosting abilities. Digital and social media experience preferred.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience.
Essential Physical Demands and Working Environment:
Ability to see, communicate, hear and utilize electronic communication and production devices. Ability to travel to offsite venues as needed. Able to work a widely variable schedule, including early mornings and evenings as scheduled. Clearly understood speaking voice.
ideastream is an equal opportunity employer~ we value diversity in our workplace