Aspen Public Radio
Apply now! Application Review is Ongoing
Join a growing public media organization in one of the most awe-inspiring areas of the country - the heart of the snow-capped Rocky Mountains. The News Director is the leader and chief editor of Aspen Public Radio’s newsroom, overseeing news staff, production, and output of news on all platforms.
Aspen Public Radio seeks a sharp, curious, hard-working, team-oriented person who is excited by new media ideas, experimenting, and helping to design and grow an evolving organization.
News Strategy: Sets strategic priorities and goals for the news operation to serve the public, including platform, topics and beats, and geographic coverage priorities. Ensures all Aspen Public Radio news content is accurate, engaging, ethical, and produced with the highest standards of professional journalism.
Editor: Assigns and edits reporters on a daily basis, overseeing the quality of news content from features and series to spots and breaking news; serves as the ultimate gatekeeper and “final say” over what story ideas should be pursued.
Management: Possesses strong leadership skills, including the ability to lead an effective team by teaching, training, and developing journalists, as well as executing the vision for the news department. The News Director will effectively communicate, be an active listener readily adapt to and champion change, develop and manage collaborative partnerships, set goals, hold team members responsible, and achieve results.
Community Engagement: Works with the development and community engagement manager and program manager on developing and executing regular, meaningful, and engaging news events throughout the listening area such as town hall meetings, debates, community forums, listening sessions, etc.
- Design and implement story editing processes, quality standards and other aspects related to the allocation of story production and priority
- Manage and coach a team of three staff reporters; manage occasional interns and freelancers
- Edit the news staff on a daily basis
- Assign reporting and producing tasks including special series and projects
- Responsible for producing their own regular reporting as time allows, but editing is the main priority
- Assist in developing, and ultimately overseeing the implementation of the editorial focus, process, and design
- Develop (with the program manager) and oversee the execution of a content distribution strategy to include broadcast, podcast, digital content, and social media
- Work with the news team and regional NPR editors to consistently participate in nationalizing a local story
- Create, maintain and execute coverage plans for developing and breaking news
- Attend major donor and public events, regularly participate in on-air fundraising and grant writing/reporting as needed
- Represent the news division as required at board meetings and other presentations
- Occasional host fill-in work
- Other duties as assigned
- At least two years of team management and editorial experience
- A least two years of audio news production and reporting
- Excellent leadership, training and collaboration skills
- Possess strong news gathering skills and in-depth knowledge of journalism ethics and practices
- Deep understanding of the purpose and mission of public broadcasting
- Strong time management skills
- Public Radio experience
- Some hosting experience
- Knowledge of Western Slope Colorado and issues of the West
- Content collaboration experience
- A commitment to helping develop skills in less-experienced reporters
- Spanish language skills
This is a full-time salaried position that reports to the executive director and will require availability for weekend, day, evening, and holiday shifts.
HOW TO APPLY:
Aspen Public Radio is being assisted in this search by Livingston Associates. Inquiries are welcome with Livingston Associates. For consideration, please visit the full job posting and apply online at http://liv.jobs/83jyx.
Apply now! Application Review is Ongoing
Search Assistance by Livingston Associates
Inquiries are welcome with Livingston Associates
Aspen Public Radio offers full-time staff benefits, including employer-paid health insurance, 401k match, and paid vacation. Ski pass financing, shared passes to the Aspen Recreation Center, shared passes to world-class events such as the Aspen Film Festival, Aspen Institute Ideas Festival, and Classical Music Festival are available. Competitive salary. This position is based at our Aspen, CO studios. Aspen Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.