The World is a leading American journalism franchise covering global issues on public radio, podcasts and online. The World delivers journalism that is consequential, influential and high-profile. Produced by the combined public media innovators, PRI and PRX, in partnership with the BBC World Service and WGBH, The World reaches more than three million listeners across North America each week and 1.5 million on-line. Our newsroom in Boston is a place where passion and curiosity meet global politics and culture. We strive to tell deeply human stories in creative and innovative ways.
The manager of The World social and community engagement will be charged with the day-to-day operation of World social channels and will be expected to champion social media within the newsroom and the broader editorial team. Are you adept at creating social-first content like audiograms, social videos and Twitter threads? Are you a self-starter with a keen eye for detail? If so, you should apply for this role. While reach of social posts is important, this position will place a premium on cultivating authentic audience engagement. You will be expected to generate ideas for using social platforms to promote engagement with our audience and help connect with fans of The World.
Because this position is part of the newsroom for PRI’s The World, an interest in and comfort writing about and discussing major issues in global news is preferred. In addition to managing social channel, the candidate may be called upon to discuss social media on The World.
Essential responsibilities include:
- Managing World brand social channels, ensuring that all social posts meet World editorial standards, style and voice.
- Create compelling, social-native content that drives audience interest in and engagement with our content.
- Curate content from across the global news market that may be of interest to the World audience.
- Increase the diversity of World audiences by collaborating with and highlighting content from communities under-represented in media.
- Ensuring all social media content meets journalistic standards for objectivity, transparency and ethics.
- Moderate comments on World social communities to ensure discussions, particularly on Facebook, meet our guidelines and remain civil, yet vibrant.
- Seek out fan/follower comments and initiate outreach. Identify opportunities to collaborate with The World audience engagement team to bring those comments into the radio broadcast.
- Use tracking tools and data to analyze user behavior, track success of our tactics, and show progress toward audience growth goals.
- Stay up-to-date on changes in social tools, algorithms and platforms, and guide continual experimentation in our social tactics.
- Collaborate with PRI’s engagement lab to design experiments intended to boost follower engagement and reach.
- Identify opportunities to incorporate audience engagement in digital content for PRI.org.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field.
- At least 3-5 years’ experience in social media or digital journalism.
- At least one year of dedicated community management and community building experience.
- Able to demonstrate strong news judgement; experience in growing a digital audience.
- A strong record of writing social status copy, digital headlines or other display copy.
- An ability to communicate across lines of difference and make positive contribute to a culture that values respect, diversity, and high expectations
- Self-motivated and self-directed; ability to set and meet aggressive goals and to recognize successes and challenges associated with those goals. Highly organized with the ability to handle multiple projects and work under tight deadlines.
- Creative, out-of-the-box thinker with a desire to drive innovation.
- A master of writing memorable copy with meticulous attention to detail. Able to recognize interesting stories.
- An audience-first orientation. Can understand the needs and experiences of the show’s audience to continuously improve their work.
- Ability to express independent judgment to identify opportunities and to determine project guidelines, purpose, follow-through and completion.
- Familiarity with social media management tools, with TweetDeck and SocialFlow experience a plus.
- Professional experience with Google Analytics, Chartbeat or comparable analytics tools. A quantitative background is a plus.
This position is full time and based at The World’s newsroom in Boston.