Title: Spanish & Community Media Coordinator
Employment Status: 30 hours/week, with the potential of becoming full time pending available funding. Early morning hours are required, with relative flexibility other times.
Location: Strong preference will be given to applicants living in the Denver Metropolitan area. Completely remote work is a possibility for the right candidate.
Public News Service runs Colorado News Connection and 36 other state news services. We’re a national newswire for public interest and social justice reporting. Our member-, grant- and media-supported model provides content to media outlets that highlights community issues and gives voice to those marginalized by media consolidation on top of historical inequities. This multi-platform distribution network reaches a wide geographic and ideological audience where they are, with over 4,000 outlets regularly featuring our reporting to an average audience of 60 million weekly. We are a Certified B Corporation consciously working to build a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive news company. Partly employee-owned and committed to addressing and rectifying the harm that journalism can and has caused, PNS is the first newswire member of the Trust Project which demonstrates the highest standards of journalistic transparency and ethics.
Job Summary: We are seeking a Spanish & Community Media Coordinator for a primarily virtual role, conducting outreach, organizing and market research with Spanish & BIPOC media outlets in targeted states. This is an excellent opportunity for an outgoing self-starter to build relationships with media outlets that serve Spanish-speaking and other communities across the country, and national news and research organizations. Though this position is three-quarter time to start, there is potential for future growth within our organization.
- Build and enhance relationships with established and potential Spanish and other media outlets
- Conduct market research and in-depth conversations with outlets to find out what content they want related to educational and other topics of interest to their audiences
- Innovate creative solutions where our distribution network can be helpful
- On an ongoing basis, advise and alert outlets to stories distributed through the PNS network that might interest these journalists and their audience/communities
- Administrate duties to maintain data and metrics relevant to support broad pick-up of PNS content in Spanish-language and other media outlets in targeted states
- Identify and build relationships with Spanish-speaking and other community spokespeople for stories and potential talk show interviews
- Excellent Spanish and English verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in the Spanish journalism and/or communications industry
- Ability to build successful relationships and demonstrable success in creating productive partnerships
- Excellent computer skills and familiarity with Google Workspace products
- Remote workspace
- Superior outreach phone, social, online and in-person skills
- Native-level proficiency in the Spanish language
- Skills in additional languages
- 3-5 years of work experience in the Spanish journalism and/or other communications industry
- Established contacts in the Spanish language radio space
- Experience working within a virtual team
Compensation: $25/hour, and the position is eligible for company-sponsored health insurance and full-benefits.
How to apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].
Public News Service is an equal opportunity employer. The complex issues we face as a society demand different perspectives. For Public News Service, this means including a wide variety of voices from all backgrounds as sources and producers, and we are strongly committed to building a staff that represents the diversity of the communities on which we report. Whether our differences are visible or private, all are welcome, regardless of ethnicity, age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, religion, physical or mental ability or experience in the judicial system.