The Pulitzer Center seeks an experienced Copy Editor to oversee all copy published by the Center, including website updates, event announcements, email newsletters, annual and quarterly reports, and print marketing materials. You will also manage the website copy production process for external content, supervising a team of interns to ensure that all stories published by outside outlets with Pulitzer Center support are accurately republished on the site.
We are looking for someone with a passion for strong copy, grammar, and editorial style, along with exceptional news judgment. As an integral member of our editorial team reporting to the Executive Editor, you should be an avid news consumer, well-versed in domestic and international news stories, with an unquenchable curiosity about the world.
In 2006, the Pulitzer Center opened its doors with a donated desk, modest seed funding, and high ambitions: to fill in the gaps in under-funded global reporting and inspire a new generation of journalists to cover the big global issues that affect us all.
Since then, we’ve built an amazing staff and expanded our funding and mission to support more than 170 reporting projects a year on pressing global issues, sparking high-impact stories in more than 600 news outlets annually. We’ve expanded our mission to support in-depth, change-making stories at local news outlets struggling to do public service journalism as news industry revenue shrinks. We’re behind some of the highest-impact reporting of the last decade on conflict and peace-building, environment and climate change, migration and human trafficking, emerging science and health issues, criminal justice and much more. Our projects have won the Pulitzer Prize, George Polk Awards, Peabodys, Emmys, National Magazine Awards and more.
We’ve built a network of more than 1,300 professional journalists and hundreds of college students to do global and domestic reporting. We’ve forged strong partnerships with leading national and international media, including The New York Times Magazine, Le Monde, PBS NewsHour, and The New Yorker, as well as local, regional, and specialty media outlets in all continents. Our unique education and outreach program brings our projects and journalists into more than 500 classrooms and public forums annually.
For more information about the Pulitzer Center, visit pulitzercenter.org.
- Copy edit and polish all copy produced in-house so that it meets the highest standards
- Craft engaging headlines, teasers, and newsletter text
- Manage the copy review process for the republishing of external stories on the website, reviewing content before publishing
- In partnership with Communications Director and University and Community Outreach Director, supervise interns in the production of copy for the website; participate in the recruitment and hiring of interns
- Own and maintain Pulitzer Center style guide, which is a hybrid of AP Style and house rules
- Format and produce stories in Drupal CMS
- Train colleagues in style and provide constructive feedback to help them improve their writing skills
Education Background, Skills, and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- At least five years in a copy editing role at a news organization, including significant editorial and proofreading experience
- High attention to detail and the ability to juggle multiple competing priorities on tight deadlines
- Expertise in U.S. English grammar, punctuation, and style; strong knowledge of style guides, especially AP Style
- Some experience using content management systems to post content to websites, such as Drupal, WordPress, or Craft
- Demonstrated news judgment
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to work effectively across cultures and platforms
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to communicate clearly and concisely to a wide range of internal and external audiences
- Skill and enthusiasm for coaching colleagues in writing and editing
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Creativity and analytical skills
- Full proficiency in both English and Spanish a plus, but not required
- Collegial disposition and sense of humor
The Pulitzer Center is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to forward diversity through its programs and hiring. See our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion statement for details.
Please note that due to the COVID-19 crisis, the Pulitzer Center is currently working remotely. Candidates should have stable high-speed internet access and a laptop or desktop computer with a webcam and microphone. We anticipate returning to the office at least part of the work week once Washington, D.C. safely reopens.
Compensation for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. In addition, the Pulitzer Center offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please submit your application using this form
The application will ask you to enter a personal statement of interest (up to 500 words), upload a current resume/CV, provide a link to your bio or LinkedIn profile, and share contact information for 3 references. Finally, you will be asked to provide 3 samples of your work, either as links or as a PDF upload. There are a few other short answer questions. Your written statement should link your passions and experience to this opportunity and how you think that experience can help advance the Pulitzer Center’s mission.
If you have any difficulties with the application form, please send a message to [email protected].
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis, giving an advantage to early applicants. Last day to apply is July 12, 2020.
Job Title: Copy Editor
Status: Full Time, some weekend work and evening may be required
Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Our headquarters is in Washington, D.C. Negotiable based on the strength of the candidate.
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withFacebook Twitter