Job Title: Outreach Assistant
Employment Type: Full Time
The Pulitzer Center is looking for a creative, detail-oriented, and high-energy Outreach Assistant to help us organize online and in-person events for the public and our campus partners.
We are looking for someone who shares our passion for raising awareness of critical global issues. We are a team of more than 20 deeply committed, hardworking, and entrepreneurial individuals.
We work with some of the world's most talented journalists, photographers, and filmmakers. The events we organize bring them into conversation with students, educators, and the public on the broader societal issues explored in the reporting.
The individual in this new position will work most closely with our university, outreach, and communication teams while also connecting with our editorial and management teams in developing and executing outreach tasks.
The ideal candidate is a strong writer who is able to work both independently and with others. We also are looking for someone who will bring new ideas to the table. Graphic design and multimedia skills a plus.
- Organize online and in-person events for the public to highlight the work of Pulitzer Center journalists and partners.
- Build out community-facing programs in regions across the U.S. where we are developing new partnerships.
- Assist in organization of online and in-person visits by journalists and staff with our more than 35 campus partners.
- Write and post blogs related to events and Campus Consortium partnerships.
- Work to increase diversity within our campus network by strengthening our partnerships with Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and community colleges, and by expanding to campuses within regions and within communities not well represented.
- Assist in the creation and distribution of promotional materials and resource videos for online and in-person events and visits in conjunction with our communications team.
- Participate in planning and coordination of the Pulitzer Center’s Annual Conference. Conference themes have included gender, conflict transformation, religion and, for 2020, justice (which evolved into an online summer series because of COVID-19).
- Provide database and audience list support for events and related outreach.
- Assist with events for Campus Consortium Reporting Fellows, including the Pulitzer Center’s Annual Reporting Fellows Washington Weekend.
- Assist as needed with maintenance of Reporting Fellows’ records in Salesforce.
We believe public-interest journalism is a public good and education outreach is a key part of our mission. We invite you to help us guarantee that we can continue to advance a deeper, more nuanced understanding of the world around us—informing the public, policy-makers, and the next generation, on the defining challenges of our time.
For more information about the Pulitzer Center, visit pulitzercenter.org and pulitzercenter.org/campus-consortium.
The Pulitzer Center is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to forward diversity through its programs and hiring. See our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion statement for details.
Please note that due to the COVID-19 crisis, the Pulitzer Center is currently working remotely. Candidates should have stable high-speed internet access and a laptop or desktop computer with a webcam and microphone.
Salary: $35,000 to $45,000
Our benefit package includes better-than-average paid time off, health care coverage (including medical/dental/vision), 403(b) retirement plan, transit benefit, child care benefits, parental leave, and Life&ADD/LTD/STD Insurance. Our office is transit friendly.
Please submit your application using our online form. You will need to create an account and password but this will also allow you to save your application and return to it at a later time.
The application will require you to enter a personal statement of interest (up to 500 words), upload a current resume/CV, and share contact information for three references. Additionally, you will be asked to provide one to three samples of your writing, either as links or as a PDF upload. Your written statement should link your passions and experience to this opportunity and how you think that experience can help advance the Pulitzer Center’s mission.
If you have any difficulties with the application form, please send a message to [email protected].
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis, giving an advantage to early applicants. Last day to apply is July 24, 2020.
Status: Full Time, some weekend work and evening may be required
Anticipated Start Date: August 15, 2020 (initially remote)