ChefSteps is looking for an amazing director/shooter/editor with impressive experience to join our James Beard Award–winning team of content creators. We’re looking for another collaborator to teach us things we don’t know about making great video and telling engaging stories.
The person who ends up in this role will be involved in the production of our video content from ideation to delivery. We have a flat organizational structure, so we’re not looking for any kind of manager, but we do want someone with the leadership qualities to own video projects from inception to completion. They’ll work with their peers to set their own goals, accept feedback, and collaborate with a team of other creative types.
ChefSteps is a well-funded and rapidly growing startup that works at the intersection of culinary education, entertainment, and technology. Our team includes chefs, filmmakers, writers, designers, software developers, mathematicians, electromechanical engineers, and a growing number of other highly talented people with a passion for getting things done. At ChefSteps, our mission is to get people all over the world to cook more efficiently, more successfully, and more often. Most of us work from our 4000-square-foot kitchen studio and workspace in Seattle’s Pike Place Market.
We’re an equal-opportunity employer that values diversity, and we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, vegan & vegetarian status, or really any status whatsoever. If you’re alive, you’re damn good at some stuff, you eat things sometimes, and you think you can help make ChefSteps better, we want to hear from you.
Why Work Here?
- Awesome health care
- Free food, the amazing and normal kind
- Parental leave
- Unlimited sick and vacation time
- Learning all day
- Small teams
- Coffee, the good kind, all day
What You’ll Do:
- Concept and shoot videos and photos, ranging in scale from vegetable prep on a cutting board to epic outdoor cooking challenges
- Work with chefs to capture them at their most dynamic and engaging
- Create visual assets to fit into long-term campaigns and solve specific problems for the business
- Own the work from beginning to end
What You’ll Bring:
- Skill at crafting and editing character-driven stories that educate and entertain
- Strong visual design aesthetic and taste level
- Team-oriented mindset—a huge part of this job is listening to and collaborating with other creatives as equals
- A strong point of view and flexible attitude; in addition to directing, on any given shoot you may be acting as everything from stylist to production assistant
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic startup environment where you will be working on multiple projects with shifting priorities
- Ability to track results, interpret them, and act upon them
- Sense of humor
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Key Qualifications Include:
- 5+ years of professional experience shooting moving images
- Intellectual curiosity and a hunger to learn about and explore new ideas and concepts
- Comprehensive knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite—Premiere, Media Encoder, and After Effects
Exceptional Candidates Have:
- A passion and appreciation for food and lifestyle brands and a desire to be immersed in a world of high-quality cooking
- Unique perspectives, backgrounds, or experiences that expand our team’s ability to think across cultures or disciplines