A CPR News Audience Editor, as part of the news digital team, ensures that the newsroom is serving all Coloradans with its digital products by understanding who Coloradans are, who is served by which stories, features, beats and projects, identifying the gaps between those and identifying opportunities to close those gaps and times when we must start anew. Edits and produces news stories every day. They pitch, edit, produce, publish and distribute digital news stories in collaboration with the news digital team and other editors in the newsroom to serve all Coloradans by delivering on documented beat priorities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Pitch, edit, produce, publish and distribute digital news stories in collaboration with the news digital team and other editors in the newsroom to serve all Coloradans by delivering on documented beat priorities.
- Contribute to news digital team strategy by participating in quarterly priority setting.
- Help achieve news digital team goals by researching, implementing and innovating digital news best practices.
- Serve and develop a diverse audience and ensure diversity in sourcing in collaboration with editors and reporters before, during and after the reporting and writing of individual stories, paying particular attention to underserved communities.
- Contribute to an inclusive newsroom culture and inclusive news products.
- Lead audience-focused story meetings with small teams in the newsroom.
- Imagine, test and improve upon digital news products using audience-focused processes.
- Write email newsletters and alerts as part of the CPR News email team.
View the full job description.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Strong professional journalism experience (5+ years) required.
- Experience producing major initiatives and projects highly desired.
- Impeccable news judgment and outstanding writing and editing skills.
- Must be able to thrive in an environment that requires juggling multiple tasks and deadlines and have strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated comfort with learning and using HTML, CSS and other languages as needed.
- Experience with analytics tools like Google Analytics, Parse.ly, etc.
- Experience sending email newsletters.
- Everyday experience with WordPress or a similar content management system.
- Confidence and communication skills needed to teach above skills to others, or provide minimal ongoing coaching as needed.
- Demonstrated excellence in editing to AP style, crafting headlines, captions and copy for the web and in email newsletters, taking into account other factors like mobile displays, SEO and/or social platforms.
- Written and spoken Spanish fluency preferred.
- Audience development skills and experience a bonus.
- Familiarity with data visualization or or data analysis a bonus.
Non-standard working hours guaranteed. On call as needed and accountable for establishing backup on-call staff when unavailable.
Position is based in CPR's downtown Denver newsroom.
To apply, submit a cover letter that includes where you learned of the job opening, resume, and three professional references to [email protected] with "Audience Editor" in the subject line. Please also include links to samples of your work or projects you have led.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls or drop ins please.
Colorado Public Radio is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package that reflects our culture of caring. Our employees have access to: 100 percent employer paid individual health, dental, life, and disability coverage; an outstanding paid family medical leave policy plus paid holidays and a very generous sick, vacation, and personal time off plan; voluntary offerings such as vision; a competitive retirement plan match with no waiting or vesting periods; flexible schedules; engagement and development opportunities; and a casual atmosphere.
Colorado Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity.
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withFacebook Twitter