The Justice Reporter covers a range of related stories from small town issues with big ramifications to federal court stories, criminal justice, immigration enforcement and agencies and policies. The reporter is part of a team focused on how systems (in this case criminal justice and courts) intersect with historical and modern day inequities. This reporter will cover daily news and produce features on a variety of justice topics, including justice reform, solutions and issues around equity. Stories will be published on all digital platforms and air in CPR news magazines, newscasts and CPR’s daily interview show Colorado Matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- In consultation with Justice and Systems team members, covers daily news of significance for digital and newscast.
- Identifies trends, pays attention to developments in the justice system and justice reform, and develops a wide range of diverse sources throughout the state to find interesting stories and identify major news events that warrant CPR coverage. All of this work leads to enterprise work that’s unique to CPR.
- Examines Justice topics through an equity lens, looking for stories that identify inequities and disparities, details solutions where they exist and serves underrepresented communities.
- Researches, writes, reports, edits and voices stories weekly for morning and afternoon news magazines. Provides soundbites, wraps and voicers for hourly newscasts. Expected to join Colorado Matters’ hosts on air with updates and debriefs as needed as well as provide debriefs with news magazine hosts.
- Experiments with new reporting, storytelling and engagement techniques.
- Help develop and grow CPR’s justice coverage overall.
- Cover breaking news, on or off the beat, as needed.
- Coordinate and work in conjunction with justice coverage throughout CPR’s platforms, including Denverite, Colorado Matters and KRCC in Colorado Springs.
View the full job description.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum of 3 years professional journalism experience preferred.
- Experience covering beats, preferably justice.
- Demonstrated understanding of the fundamentals of journalism and fair and accurate reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to source and find stories in various different communities.
- Must understand and adhere to CPR News Ethics policy.
- Social media skills and data analysis skills are desirable.
- Radio production skills are desirable but not necessary.
- Familiarity with WordPress or ability to learn required.
- Familiarity with audio editing software or ability to learn required.
- Able to work collaboratively, supporting colleagues from various different perspectives and experiences, and able to meet deadlines and juggle multiple tasks.
- Ability to lift and carry recording equipment (up to 10 pounds).
- A current driver’s license and/or access to reliable transportation.
Available to work during non-standard working hours and weekend on-call shifts, as needed. This job will include travel.
Position is based in CPR’s downtown Denver newsroom.
To apply, submit a cover letter that includes where you learned of the job opening, resume, and three professional references to [email protected] with "Justice Reporter" in the subject line. Please also include links to samples of your work or projects you have led.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls or drop ins please.
Colorado Public Radio is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package that reflects our culture of caring. Our employees have access to: 100 percent employer paid individual health, dental, life, and disability coverage; an outstanding paid family medical leave policy plus paid holidays and a very generous sick, vacation, and personal time off plan; voluntary offerings such as vision; a competitive retirement plan match with no waiting or vesting periods; flexible schedules; engagement and development opportunities; and a casual atmosphere.
Colorado Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity.
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withFacebook Twitter