The role of the Business Applications Specialist is to coordinate, maintain, support, and deploy business application projects according to deadlines, policies, and budget. This includes assisting in the evaluation, selection, development, implementation, administration, testing, and maintenance of business applications, as well as acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of team members and third-party contractors/consultants/vendors in order to support, upkeep, and upgrade existing systems and applications while adhering to PM, SDLC and change control policies.
This role is also responsible for supporting end-users in the organization about how to use various types of software programs efficiently and effectively in fulfilling business objectives. This includes troubleshooting applications and software for all internal customers and business units. The BAS is also responsible for assisting in the design, delivery, and improvement of in-house software applications training programs and related courseware. This individual will apply proven communication skills, technical and problem-solving skills, process management/improvement, and knowledge of best practices.
Strategy & Planning
- Assist in reviewing and analyzing existing application, process and workflow effectiveness and efficiency, and then help develop strategies and policies for improvement.
- Create and deploy feedback mechanisms for end users. Analyze results, make recommendations for support process improvement, and implement changes.
- Evaluate documented resolutions and analyze trends for ways to prevent repeated future problems.
- Participate in design sessions in prototyping new systems for the purpose of enhancing business processes, operations, information process flow.
- Identify systems and process risks and participate in establishing risk mitigation plans.
- Participate as needed in IT design reviews to ensure compatibility and interoperability of systems and applications and to ensure that the proposed solution meets user needs and satisfies business objectives and initiatives.
- Help establish a relationship between IT, the business, partners, and vendors, and increase the value realized from IT assets, investments, and capabilities.
- Set and continually manage expectations with end-users, business units, supervisor, and other stakeholders.
- Responsible for understanding the end-user and business needs to ensure the needs align with the technology.
- Ensure the end-users and business units understand the technology solution and compliance to governance processes, standards, etc.
- Educate IT team members on end-user and business unit goals and objectives and educate the business on the value of information technology.
- Continuously seek opportunities to increase client satisfaction, deepen relationships, and effectively manage client expectations.
- Adapt communication skills in order to translate between technical and business language to work collaboratively and negotiate requirements across business units, vendors, stakeholders, and senior management.
- Effectively communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion. Liaise with customers on an ongoing basis.
Application Implementation and Support
- Participate in the evaluation, selection, development, implementation, administration, testing, and maintenance of business applications systems based on our business objectives and corporate strategies.
- Develop a knowledge of capabilities and functions of assigned systems and applications. Use this knowledge to recommend optimal solutions to business requirements that best leverages the product.
- Assess impact of changes due to implementation and work with the organization and vendor to identify solutions to address the changes.
- Ensure that any new software, version, or integration into company systems meets business need, functional requirements, system compliance, and interface specifications.
- Assist in establishing training and system documentation, conduct training sessions as necessary.
- Maintain production, test, training, and development environments according to corporate policy.
- Field and own, incoming problem tickets from end-users to resolve issues.
- Manage change requests and problem resolution.
- Liaise with administrators, engineers, and stakeholders to assist with quality assurance, workflows, and data processing.
- Learn and adhere to policies, procedures, and quality assurance best practices.
- Compile and maintain inventory of company software and systems assets and their corresponding contracts/agreements.
- Responsible for user permissions, access control and segregation of duties for all business applications.
- Responsible for change control and internal controls compliance with regards to user permissions and change requests.
- Provide technical assistance to project managers, developers and engineers as needed.
- Coordinate and install enhancements and upgrades to systems and application software.
- Participate in post-mortems and recommendations reports.
- Assist in pre-and post-testing of applications and projects in order to identify potential problem areas, avoid issues and make the appropriate recommendations.
- Participate in the testing and validation of new and existing business solutions and assist in identifying and resolving issues, errors, and opportunities for improvement.
- Document and coordinate acceptance testing procedures and findings.
- Bachelor's degree in related field from a four-year college or university preferred.
- Minimum 3 years direct experience in business related application management.
- Ability to communicate up and down the management chain, providing the appropriate level of detail and focus on the right information.
- Experience with knowledgebase, defect tracking, and requirements related software systems (such as Service Desk Plus, JIRA, etc.).
- Proficient with core software applications, including Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio).
- Some experience with design and implementation of technical environments using various technologies and languages.
- Strong familiarity with project management methodologies and principles (PM, SDLC, Agile, etc.) and change management process and procedures.
- Experience with ITSM and change control principles.
- Ability to understand and communicate/present detailed and advanced business solutions.
- Technically competent with various software and systems, such as Windows OS, networking, Office suite, etc.
- Financial and purchasing experience a plus.
- Strong leadership, relationship management, interpersonal, negotiation, and communication skills.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Excellent analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks while under pressure.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working individually and, in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to conduct research into systems and application issues and products.
- Occasional evening and weekend work for system launches, to accommodate various time zones, or to meet deadlines.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
- Some travel may be required for the purpose of offsite training, conferences, and office visits.
- Entertainment/Media Industry experience a plus.