This position is responsible for managing business affairs activities related to acquisition, development, production and post-production of entertainment content and related negotiation of deals for talent, content, rights, and services across all platforms. The Director of Business and Legal affairs will assist other members of the department, and work closely with departments across the company and Hallmark generally in the creation of content.
- Manage day to day business affairs issues for Programming as well as other areas of the business.
- Provide legal guidance and expertise to client departments or productions regarding laws, regulation, and industry custom and practice pertaining to development, production, distribution and other exploitation of programs.
- Structure deals and draft and negotiate agreements for development, production and licensing of programming, including rights acquisitions and clearances, book options, literary acquisitions, talent engagements, talent releases, sponsorship agreements, production services agreements, and music agreements in connection with original movies and series production.
- Draft and negotiate agreements with distributors, sales agents, insurance providers and other vendors.
- Analyze and advise regarding the ramifications and implications of deal elements, including risks relating to the business and legal aspects of productions.
- Manage guild relationships in accordance with relevant guild agreements and resolve issues with the guild.
- Prepare deal summaries for use by legal, production and finance.
- Keep apprised of and be able to apply applicable production tax incentive programs in the US and Canada.
- Conduct legal research involving copyright, trademark and media law.
- Evaluate and provide legal counsel regarding promotion and publicity issues.
- Interact with senior management to keep abreast of plans and strategies impacting the Networks.
- JD and California State Bar membership required
- Minimum of 5-7 years Business Affairs experience in media company or law firm
OTHER REQUIREMENTS AND/OR DESIRED CHARACTERISTICS:
- Excellent drafting, negotiation and organizational skills
- Relative experience in one or more of the following industries: cable/broadcast/ studios/digital media companies
- Extensive knowledge in-depth knowledge of contract and general corporate law
- Knowledge of intellectual property, entertainment, technology and privacy law are strongly preferred
- Knowledge of industry deals and practices
- High level of proficiency using Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel
- Ability to work well in fast-paced, deadline intensive in-house environment.
- Good business judgment and confidence
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with a range of personalities and styles
- Ability to establish productive relationships at all levels of the organization
- Ability to manage high volume of transactions and work independently
Crown Media is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, pregnancy, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other legally-protected status. Principals only please.