Under the direction of the SVP, Programming, this position works on the development of original movies overseeing projects from start to finish. Takes pitches and seeks out programming that is appropriate for Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movie and Mysteries scripted needs for both movies. Evaluates submissions and develops the project(s) to meet the Crown Media standards for a hit show and recommends and reviews with SR Mgmt. Ensures that production meets Crown Media standards and partners to shepherd the show in all creative aspects. Partners with the VP and EVP to review all aspects of casting, scripts, dailies, communications, final delivery and function as one of the movie’s brand managers. This position reports to the SVP, Programming and may provide work direction and supervision to junior staff members.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Solicit and evaluate source material from producers and agents for original programming development.
- Sources, develops, pitches and oversees original scripted cable programming.
- Collaborate with writers in transitioning concepts from development into movies; including development of storylines, formats, casting, graphics, and overall look and sound of our new shows.
- Actively develops and maintains strong relations with the creative community
- Meet with producers, writers and agents to field and evaluate pitches and incoming submissions for original programming.
- Prioritize and summarize potential development and present to supervisor for consideration.
- Read and evaluate scripts to provide recommendations.
- Oversees follow up on outlines, rough cuts and scripts.
- Evaluate and draft development notes on scripts and projects in development.
- Establish and maintain contact with LA and NY based literary agents to identify and pursue new manuscripts, books to be published, turn around and spec scripts and articles.
- Provide creative input and supervise assigned projects through all stages of production to ensure delivery of desired, network-appropriate content.
- Review and evaluate current publications for stories, ideas and real life situations to serve as the premise for potential development.
- Interface with literary and packaging agents to identify new writers.
- Read and assess new writer samples.
- Develop writer availability lists for projects in development.
- Identify and evaluate directing samples of up and coming directors.
- Summarize projects in development and production in written form to be distributed.
- Create, coordinate and distribute monthly development report that tracks all projects.
- Visits production sets and monitors creative vision.
- Advise and develop special projects as needed.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience in development and production
- Prior experience as development executive for broadcast network or cable channel
- PC skills using Microsoft Office Suite
OTHER REQUIREMENTS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Must have demonstrated ability to solicit and identify material for original development.
- Must be able to execute and deliver development notes and have established working relationships with creative community (agents, writers, producers).
- Must have the ability to pay close attention to detail and understand written and oral instructions.
- Must have the ability to organize and schedule work effectively.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks and have excellent follow-through skills.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have the ability to communicate professionally and tactfully with persons on all levels, in person and via e-mail and telephone.