The Marketing and Communications department is responsible for creating and leveraging communications vehicles that promote WGBH to its many constituents: local viewers and listeners, Web visitors, members, mid-level and major donors, Board leadership, the general public, and all employees. We manage initiatives that maximize the WGBH brand and assure positive positioning for our institution and our productions, programs, and services, while bolstering our organization’s visibility and strengthening the perceived value of WGBH.
The Communications and Media Relations Specialist works closely with the Media Relations Manager, Associate Director and Director to maintain and expand the team’s services and projects, creating and implementing campaigns and initiatives that increase visibility, awareness, audience and value across traditional and digital platforms. The position reports to the Director of Media Relations and supports the entire Media Relations team.
The successful candidate will be one who is up to the challenge of sharing the WGBH story in the most compelling ways possible. A creative thinker who is passionate about news and communications, one who can identify media trends and captivating story ideas. This individual should be innovative, and results-oriented, with exceptional written and verbal communication skills and a positive attitude. A collaborative team player, they will thrive working in a fast-paced and dynamic organization.
The Communications and Media Relations Specialist performs tasks that contributes to the overall success of the team. These may include:
- Research, write, edit, and/or proofread communications materials, including, but not limited to: calendar listings, pitches, fact sheets, press materials, media alerts, briefing materials, and speaking points.
- Maintain records of media contacts, placements and deadlines.
- Write, disseminate, and follow up on press releases, events, and programs.
- Prepare schedule highlights for external publication
- Maintain editorial calendar and press release schedule
- Deliver concise and informative reporting on press activities, coverage secured, and current opportunities.
- Update Foundation press room on the website
- Perform other related and comparable duties as assigned.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Ability to successfully manage several demanding projects simultaneously and identify priorities in fast-paced environment.
- Strong knowledge of the media landscape and a passion for media relations
- Strong project management skills with proven experience
- Strong communication and relationship building skills.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Superior proofreading skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and present ideas clearly.
- Ability to collaborate with internal staff, external partners, and resources.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and appropriate independent decision-making skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and social media.
- The ability to accept and incorporate feedback
- Discretion in handling confidential information.
- 2+ years of relevant experience, preferably in an agency setting
- Ability to build relationships, both with the media and clients
- Excellent judgment, positive attitude and a desire to contribute
- Technology skills appropriate to perform the duties of the job.
- Experience with digital communications channels.
Bachelor's degree, preferable in Public Relations, Communications or Journalism
Please apply through our website, using the link below.